cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Upload - Rate limited

nekno
Shkhara

I'm trying to use file upload on the Upload and Sync Your Activities page.

I have 400 activities to upload from TCX files, limited to 15 files at a time by the page.

I can upload 30 files in 2 batches, and then I get an error:

You've exceeded the maximum number of uploads. Please try again later. 

Does the file upload have a rate limit?

A limit of 30 files per 24 hours (?) would be annoyingly low.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello,

Thanks for your patience.  If you have a large number of files to upload to your Strava account, and you are still hitting our rate limits,  please submit a support ticket so we can work directly with you to help.  In the ticket please mention:

• the number of files you have to upload
  • the original source of the files (Garmin, Wahoo, TomTom, etc.)

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38

nekno
Shkhara

Just wanted to collect the current limits gathered in this thread into a single post.

Free AthletePaid Subscriber
Max activities/upload15+15+1025+25+25+25
Max activities/24hrs40100

I’m a paid subscriber! 
I uploaded one activity today!

I was commenting on other people’s posts when I got the message!

This is not acceptable. Hope it’s just a glitch till they sort this out. 

If there would be a ready to use command line bulk import you would have other limits:
paid: 200 API requests/ 15 Min, 2000 per 24h

Norgoe
Shkhara

This upload limit for paid users is ridiculous - at least for new ones that want to sync their history to strava:

• The sync with garmin only syncs 3 month backwards - great for multiple years of data
  • The strava upload page has two nasty bugs 
    • if you have uploaded files and are changing things on the following dialog and klick on "alter more details" (translated by me, maybe it's named slightly different) the page switches and there is no way back to the "imported" files - you simply cannot finish the import (but the files count to your limit)
    • if you try to upload these not imported files again - you can't, because you "already imported" them - except that they are not in the activity timeline

These major flaws, bugs and silly restrictions really help to annoy new members.
And it really helps making the decision if keeping the subscription after the trial period is an option.
You have 57 days to solve these problems before my trial ends ...

Hey there, thanks for reporting this. I'd be happy to file the issues but I'm having some trouble trying to reproduce them. On the upload page, when bulk uploading files -- I'm not sure what you mean by "alter more details" --Is this a button? Could you perhaps share a screenshot? If this is before pressing "Save & View" then the files won't be uploaded and from what I understand, these files are still counting toward the number of daily uploads. I just need some more clarification on this matter, thank you once again.

It's not a button, it's a link (for me)

Also, the same bug triggers if you click "new shoe" - it will take you to another page, dropping all metadata you copied over (potentially for all the 15 activities in the bulk). Super annoying.

I'll add that the import page also doesn't respect the default set for a bike.

The upload page used to set the bike for each cycling activity to the default set in one's profile, and now you're forced to set the bike for every activity.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello All,

Just wanted to clarify that the upload limits are different for paid (Subscriber) vs. free Athletes.  They are 25 files at a time for Subscribers, and 15 files for free athletes.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Thanks, @Jane! Can you help us understand if the daily upload limits are any different between paid Subscribers vs free Athletes?

Today it seems to be ~40 for free Athletes, so a 3rd upload of 15 files within a day fails, but uploading 15+15+10 seems to work. Then you have to way another 24 hours.

nekno
Shkhara

Hi @Jane — can you help us understand if the solution to the problem of limited uploads is to subscribe, or if the limits are the same?

Thank you!