cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't get the new Strava Waypoints feature.

Silentvoyager
Kilimanjaro

It adds a waypoint every time I click on the map. But if I plan a route on a complicated trail network and want to get the route exactly the way I want I need to click on the map a lot. That isn't different from how the route planning worked before. But now it inserts waypoint at every point I clicked at the map. But what's next? 

- I can't rename those waypoints. Names don't stick.

- I can't remove those waypoints because that triggers the reroute. That's not what I want. 

- Waypoints don't propagate to Garmin. That was the main feature I expected.

Basically, these are not true waypoints. They are more like anchor points that Strava calls waypoints. Waypoint is what I want to be notified about during notification. For example Garmin devices allow tracking distance remaining or ETA to the next waypoint. That's not what Strava provides with this update. In fact, as I can tell nothing has really changed other than entering a point by searching for it on the map.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

nicky
Strava
Strava

Hey @Silentvoyager thanks for all the feedback on this! Really appreciate it! You are correct that the first version of these waypoints function more like control points than garmin waypoints / coursepoints. BUT, we're actually working on all of the features you've requested and will ship them soon. 
- Waypoint names will begin sticking sometime in July 
- Waypoint sync to garmin is planned work for late this summer. 
We'll let you know when this stuff is launched! Main point: we hear you, we agree with you, and we're working on everything you've requested!! Thanks for taking the time to write all of this out!

View solution in original post

Hey @Silentvoyager thanks for all this additional detail! We've been thinking a lot about exactly what you're discussing. Another way to say it is, every "course point" is a waypoint, but not every waypoint is a "course point." We are building the feature to account for this. 

Only the waypoints that you indicate (imagine a "send to device" toggle or check box) will be sent to your Garmin as "course points" that appear in the "up ahead menu." 

Thanks also for mentioning the course points that are on both the out and the back sections of a route. This is definitely not an easy problem to solve because there are two strings of GPS data that sit on top of one another but are separate. We can do some thinking about that as we build the nitty gritty parts of the feature. 

Really appreciate your thorough responses. The feature is on it's way! 

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

nicky
Strava
Strava

Hi @Silentvoyager - just wanted to provide you with an update on this ongoing project since we had a great conversation about it a month ago! Waypoint names should now stick. Example: if you search for "Arsicault Bakery" as a waypoint, that named entity will remain as the name of the waypoint, even if you save the route and reload it. It will also be visible if you share a route with another user and they make a copy & edit it. Let us know what you think.

We're working on syncing custom waypoints to Garmin as "Course Points" next. This is coming soon! Thanks for being a part of the feature's journey to market! 

Hi Nicky,

This doesn't seem to be working for me - can you confirm that when we rename a waypoint and save the route, the new waypoint name should stick?

Hey @Johnny_runs thanks for the question! The current functionality: you search for a named entity in the waypoint menu, example "Hawk Hill," that will stick so long as you don't move the waypoint. Future functionality: (coming very soon) you'll be able to customize any waypoint's name, description, and type then send those waypoints to certain GPS devices. 

Lots of good stuff coming soon - always appreciate any feedback! 

nicky
Strava
Strava

Hey @Silentvoyager thanks for all the feedback on this! Really appreciate it! You are correct that the first version of these waypoints function more like control points than garmin waypoints / coursepoints. BUT, we're actually working on all of the features you've requested and will ship them soon. 
- Waypoint names will begin sticking sometime in July 
- Waypoint sync to garmin is planned work for late this summer. 
We'll let you know when this stuff is launched! Main point: we hear you, we agree with you, and we're working on everything you've requested!! Thanks for taking the time to write all of this out!

Hi Nicky, 

I'm looking forward to the Waypoint sync to garmin which you mentioned is planned for late this summer and was wondering whether it is likely to be available in the next month ? Reason i ask is that i'm planning a 1,100 mile touring trip and wanted to add water fountains to the route (i love this feature on Strava by the way) so I can see it on my Garmin while navigating. It would take a lot longer to do outside of Strava so i'm happy to wait and do it on Strava if it is ready before I leave.  

Hey @Atoz first of all, that sounds like an incredible tour! We expect this feature to be live for garmin before the end of September. You will definitely be able to add water fountains as well as many other route features then have them flow though to your garmin at that point! We'll do our best to get it live as fast as possible. Thanks for writing in!

Thanks Nicky. I'll hold out for the update and look forward to it.

Here's a preview screen recording  of how the functionality will work: https://recordit.co/y82bRQ3KP6  Thanks for the enthusiasm! Excited to get this feature to you ASAP!

Hi Nicky, that feature looks perfect. Any luck getting it rolled out before the end of September? If not are you looking for a tester ?

Hi @Atoz launch date is October 12th. Apologies for the few week delay!