cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing GPX/FIT from Outdooractive doesn't bring in title/name?

jimmyj352
Mt. Kenya

I've been using Outdooractive (formerly ViewRanger) for several years now. I decided to sign up for Strava to check it out. It looks like it might be a better option for what I need but I'm having a little problem moving over data.

I exported all my "tracks" from Outdooractive to GPX files as well as FIT files. This was a pain to do one by one, but it's done. However, when I try to import them into Strava, it doesn't bring over the title for each, which is pretty important to me. If I open one of the GPX files in Notepad++, it correctly shows the name of the track within the <name> and </name> element tags that are within the <trk> and </trk>. But it doesn't bring them over into Strava's activity for the title - instead, it just defaults to things like "Afternoon Run."

Is that expected behavior? I don't want to manually have to change all of these in Strava. Can I make changes to the GPX files before importing them into Strava so it'll carry over the names of each one? For instance, can I just do a bulk find and replace across all my GPX files to change <name> and </name> to whatever Strava might need (maybe <title> and </title> or something?)?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @jimmyj352 

Thanks for posting about this.  Default Strava names are given to activities when importing from another service.  Sorry for any confusion over this and let us know if you have more questions.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @jimmyj352 

Thanks for posting about this.  Default Strava names are given to activities when importing from another service.  Sorry for any confusion over this and let us know if you have more questions.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Thanks, @Jane - I figured that it was a long shot and have been copying these over 1 by 1. Thank goodness I only have a little over 100, but that's still a little silly considering the names are already in each file. It's too late for me, but maybe something to relay to the developers?

On another note, it's also sort of ridiculous that you can only import about 30 files per day. Not sure if that increases with the paid membership (I haven't done that yet), but this makes for a welcome that doesn't seem very welcoming.

Thanks for responding though - I do appreciate it!

-- Jim