cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New sport types launched but still missing virtual row

gorbbs
Mt. Kenya

Strava recently announced 9, yes, NINE, new sport types https://www.strava.com/clubs/231407/posts/23088067

Virtual Row was one of the new sport types announced - where is it? It's been almost a week now since the announcement and virtual row is nowhere to be seen.

Any update on when we can expect to have virtual row available given it was launched a week ago?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @gorbbs 

Thanks for posting about this and sorry for the confusion.

The reason why 'Virtual Row' is not an option when trying to record or create a manual activity is because this sport type acts the same as Virtual Ride/Run. You will need to record a virtual row activity in order for 'Virtual Row' to appear as a sport type on your activity. 

Virtual Ride/Run/Row activities are activity recordings which contain GPS, distance, elevation, and time data from a simulated route. You can learn more about virtual activities on Strava here: Virtual Trainer Activities on Strava

In order to classify an activity under a virtual sport type, the activity must be originally recorded as a virtual activity using a supported virtual trainer or treadmill. Performing this action will ensure that your activity file uploaded to Strava has the correct sport type information included. Athletes are no longer able to manually classify activities as virtual.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

1Heidi
Mt. Kenya

I am using ErgData (Android version) from Concept2 to record Erg sessions and that is shared to Garmin Connect and into Strava. Find it odd that the integration from ErgData to Strava would not include the 'virtual row' parameter.

Can you Strava please work with ErgData to make sure all the required params are imported correctly? I'd be okay to adjust the workouts manually in Strava but since you've removed this option I hope we could rely on you fixing this on your end, please? 

...to add, for clarification, an activity recorded from the erg to ErgData and then shared into Garmin Connect and Strava, appears as 'indoor rowing' in Garmin app which is as expected, but in Strava it appears as 'rowing' when it should be recognized by Strava as virtual/indoor as it's not on the water... Thanks again. 

gorbbs
Mt. Kenya

Thanks for the clarification, Jane. That makes perfect sense. My virtual rows on Kinomap don't appear as virtual efforts and I had hoped that I could change them to virtual rows as Kinomap has GPS, distance and time data. Is this a problem with Kinomap not capturing virtual row in a format that Strava identifies as a virtual row on a real GPS route? 

Hi @gorbbs 

Sorry for the confusion there.  We're hoping to work with Kinomap to improve this integration going forward.

Jane (she/her)

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @gorbbs 

Thanks for posting about this and sorry for the confusion.

The reason why 'Virtual Row' is not an option when trying to record or create a manual activity is because this sport type acts the same as Virtual Ride/Run. You will need to record a virtual row activity in order for 'Virtual Row' to appear as a sport type on your activity. 

Virtual Ride/Run/Row activities are activity recordings which contain GPS, distance, elevation, and time data from a simulated route. You can learn more about virtual activities on Strava here: Virtual Trainer Activities on Strava

In order to classify an activity under a virtual sport type, the activity must be originally recorded as a virtual activity using a supported virtual trainer or treadmill. Performing this action will ensure that your activity file uploaded to Strava has the correct sport type information included. Athletes are no longer able to manually classify activities as virtual.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Jane (she/her)