cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offer to switch mis-selected activity after Record

tojstr
Shkhara

Apologies if this post is a duplicate, but I hit this as a new user. I asked friends who are long time users and they confirmed they've hit it also.

It would be nice if say, when forgetting to switch an activity before a record, and the speed of that activity wasn't possible, rather than terminating the recording of the activity while it's underway (what I believe is what happens..) that the app would record the activity and when clicking "Finish" the app offered up "Hey, this activity was too fast for [activity]. Were you doing something else? [offer navigation to select another activity whose speed range lies within the Record's max speed].

Example is doing a walk, then doing a bike - but forgetting to reset the activity type from walk to bike before that bike Record. In my case I got home from my bike (which was recording a walk) and the recording appeared to have just been terminated; the app was not Recording when I got back.

I assume the termination of the record is to try to prevent gaming the system (eg. a super fast walk), but I think offering that UI choice, even if it's only offered say once per month as a goodwill thing, would be helpful for new users.

Then if the user does it again >1x per month, you simply put up an alternate dialogue like "Hey, this activity was too fast for [activity]. To prevent gaming performances we unfortunately can't save your recording. You'll need to select the correct activity next time before your Record."

Or, offer the feature for a grace period for the first 3 months since sign-on. Then shut if off.

Or something like that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @tojstr 

Thanks for posting in the Community and I'm happy to help you out.  We don't terminate recordings that are in progress.  If you record using the wrong activity type, your activity can still be saved and uploaded.  If the activity speed is unrealistic (for example you record a bike ride as a run) your activity may be flagged on Strava which will prevent it from appearing on public segment leaderboards.  

Find out more about the flagging tool here

It's easy to update your activity type to the correct one after it's uploaded:

Please follow these steps if you need to change an activity type on your account:

Web

• Log into your Strava account via www.strava.com and view the activity page that you wish to edit.
  • Click the Pencil icon on the left-hand side of the activity page.
  • Click on “Sport” to display the drop-down menu and select the correct activity type that should be listed.
  • Click “Save” when you are done.

Mobile

• You can make this change from the activity save screen before you finish and upload it.
  • If the activity is already saved to your account, open the activity you wish to edit. Tap the ellipses menu in the upper right-hand corner and select Edit Activity.
  • Click on the current sport type to display the scrolling menu. Search for and select the correct activity type. 
  • Save your changes once you're done.

For more information please see our article on changing activity types

I hope that helps.  Thanks for being part of the Strava Community.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

tojstr
Shkhara

Cool, good to know. Possibly just a bug I hit on that occasion. However, when I asked one of my friends who is pretty prolific on Strava, he said it has previously happened to him also. So I took him at his word and assumed the record termination was intentional if the velocity wasn't realistic to the activity.

Perhaps in his case also, the app record simply abnormally terminated on the occasions it happened to him.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @tojstr 

Thanks for posting in the Community and I'm happy to help you out.  We don't terminate recordings that are in progress.  If you record using the wrong activity type, your activity can still be saved and uploaded.  If the activity speed is unrealistic (for example you record a bike ride as a run) your activity may be flagged on Strava which will prevent it from appearing on public segment leaderboards.  

Find out more about the flagging tool here

It's easy to update your activity type to the correct one after it's uploaded:

Please follow these steps if you need to change an activity type on your account:

Web

• Log into your Strava account via www.strava.com and view the activity page that you wish to edit.
  • Click the Pencil icon on the left-hand side of the activity page.
  • Click on “Sport” to display the drop-down menu and select the correct activity type that should be listed.
  • Click “Save” when you are done.

Mobile

• You can make this change from the activity save screen before you finish and upload it.
  • If the activity is already saved to your account, open the activity you wish to edit. Tap the ellipses menu in the upper right-hand corner and select Edit Activity.
  • Click on the current sport type to display the scrolling menu. Search for and select the correct activity type. 
  • Save your changes once you're done.

For more information please see our article on changing activity types

I hope that helps.  Thanks for being part of the Strava Community.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team