cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording Squash with distance

Azbedwell
Mt. Kenya

So with my old Vivoactive 3 I would record my squash games as a normal run. Obviously the run map was irrelevant but it would give me the distance I ran/moved which I really liked. (Normally ended up being 3-5k depending on how hard the game was)

However on my new Venu 2 if I record my squash as a run in the same way the map is always weird (one straight line) and only records me as having moved very little. Normally under 1k. 

I have switched to recording my matches as "cardio"

However I really like tracking how far I've run in my matches. Any ideas on how to record the activity so it measures the distance covered? 

I assume its to do with the GPS not liking the fact you move in a very confined space in squash but seems weird the older watch recorded it fine whilst the newer one can't. 

Any thoughts or solutions much appreciated  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Azbedwell 

Thanks for posting about this.  Have you tried recording in "treadmill" mode on your Venu?  Assuming you are playing squash indoors, recording in "run" mode will cause GPS data to be recorded (that's the straight line you are seeing on the map) and GPS recordings function poorly indoors.  The "treadmill" mode on Venu and other Garmin watches is designed to record distance while running inside.  I don't have a good sense of how it would work for court sports, but you could test out.  

That being said, I don't know why your Vivioactive seemed to record accurately when you recorded squash using "run".  I would recommend directing that question to Garmin Support.   

Check out our blog article on recording indoors

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Azbedwell 

Thanks for posting about this.  Have you tried recording in "treadmill" mode on your Venu?  Assuming you are playing squash indoors, recording in "run" mode will cause GPS data to be recorded (that's the straight line you are seeing on the map) and GPS recordings function poorly indoors.  The "treadmill" mode on Venu and other Garmin watches is designed to record distance while running inside.  I don't have a good sense of how it would work for court sports, but you could test out.  

That being said, I don't know why your Vivioactive seemed to record accurately when you recorded squash using "run".  I would recommend directing that question to Garmin Support.   

Check out our blog article on recording indoors

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team