cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Segment Explore Locks You Out Even With a Subscription?

Karson_Sommer
Mt. Kenya

I sometime use the Segment Explore tool to browse the segments in my area or in random locations. https://www.strava.com/segments/explore

After some criteria is met: time used, things loaded, things clicked? The window refuses to load any more segments. This is evidently tied to your account, as you can try in a different browser or different device and it will still refuse to load anything. You have to wait some time (a day?) before you can use the tool again. I assume the rationale is Strava had an issue at some point with people scraping data from this interface, so it locks you out.

I had assumed that purchasing a Strava Subscription would remove this limit and would let me freely browse the Segment Explore without locking me out after 10 minutes and making me wait an entire day before being able to use it again. That assumption is incorrect, as Strava still locks you out of the tool even if you are paying.

I just tried out a paid Strava Subscription, with the sole purpose of being able to filter the segment leaderboards for top last month/this year so I could see where the most people run and if there are any fast people that use the routes. Given that the Segment Explore still locks me out, it seems I have no reason to continue the subscription.

I can't imagine that locking people out of this tool is desirable from the company's perspective.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Karson_Sommer 

Thanks for posting about this.  It sounds likely you have hit our limit for the maximum number of daily segment views on the segment explore and route creation pages. Please wait 24 hours and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. This limit applies to all Athletes, whether or not they have a Subscription.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Karson_Sommer 

Thanks for posting about this.  It sounds likely you have hit our limit for the maximum number of daily segment views on the segment explore and route creation pages. Please wait 24 hours and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. This limit applies to all Athletes, whether or not they have a Subscription.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

i'm having a similar but different issue. i try to create a segment and it won't load the creation screen. also won't allow me to edit segments i've created. been having this issue for several weeks now.