cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Strava obviously overestimating my FTP?

cryptopodium
Shkhara

My power curve shows my max 20min power at about 264w. I'm 65kg and reckon my FTP is 255w at the most. So why does Strava estimate it as 274W? There is no way I could ever sustain 274w for an hour.

4 REPLIES 4

cryptopodium
Shkhara

It’s nothing to do with the fitness and freshness scores, I’m just talking about Strava’s estimate of my FTP (visible on the power curve). 

How can Strava estimate my FTP at 274w when my maximum 20 minute power is 264w? It’s been reasonably accurate in the past (at around 255w).

Hey @cryptopodium
Sorry about that.  For your FTP, we recommend entering your FTP for best results.  Please take a look at these help pages for additional info: 
Strava Training Glossary for Cycling
Power Analysis Features

You can enter your FTP on the website by navigating to the upper right and clicking on Settings and then My Performance. Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 7.01.38 AM.png

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Yeah, I could set it manually to what I think it is. But Strava is trying to estimate it - what algorithm is it using to do that, and why i sit getting it so wrong?

In the past this estimate has been fairly accurate, now it isn't. What's different?

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hi @cryptopodium

Thanks for the post. Without looking at the specific activity that is causing this, it's difficult to know what is going on. Several different factors can contribute to changes in your Fitness and Freshness score. Here are the main ones:

1. The intensity of your activities has changed.
2. The frequency of your activities has changed.
3. Your heart rate zones were recently updated. (Updating your heart rate zones will only affect future activities)
4. If your activities are using power, your FTP may have recently been updated. You can update your FTP here: https://www.strava.com/settings/performance

If you still have questions or need any clarification, please submit a support ticket and include links to any activities where you started seeing this change. This will help our team to further investigate.  

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team