cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Strava distance is always 0.01 mile shorter than Garmin distance?

Silentvoyager
Kilimanjaro

I know it is a small thing but it is one of those things that is quite annoying about Strava. You know that situation when you finish a run and notice that it is very close to a round number of miles, than you run a bit further to make it e. g. 5 miles. Then it uploads to Strava and shows as 4.99 miles in some parts of the app and 4.9 miles in other parts of the app (e. g. the training calendar). Can Strava stop doing that? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

varun
Strava
Strava

Hi @Silentvoyager

We know this has been a long-time quirk, and often a frustration for many athletes, including some of our own employees! The reason this happens is that Garmin (both the device and Garmin Connect) rounds up distances, whereas Strava rounds down. Distances are always stored in meters on devices and then shown on Strava in the athlete's preferred units (i.e. miles/yards for imperial and kilometers/meters for metric). So for example, a distance that comes over in a file as 4995 meters will get displayed on Strava as 4.99 km and on Garmin as 5.00 km. Similarly, if on your watch you run until you see 1.00 miles, that might actually be something like 1608.0 meters (0.9994 miles) and Strava will show 0.99 miles.

It is also worth clarifying that most Garmins, even relatively older ones, provide a distance directly in the file that Strava uses. There are cases we calculate distance ourselves from the raw GPS points; for example, if a certain device doesn't provide it. And athletes can also choose to use our calculated distance to override the device one - see How Distance is Calculated for more. 

One other nuance for the question from @MattS_bsb regarding race distances like a half marathon or marathon. There are features like Best Efforts and Challenges based on those Best Efforts that require athletes to complete a certain distance. One thing we have seen is athletes who run 26.2 miles and not receiving credit. This stems from the same issue above - that a marathon is 26.22 miles when converted from its official distance (26 miles and 385 yards), and athletes are often slightly short.

We understand that this is a bit of a philosophical stance we've taken - the digital version of "running all the way to the line". There is a tradeoff here between the consistency with Garmin and satisfaction of the round numbers (because yes, we've all been there), and the care we aspire to take with data correctness and integrity. This is one of an exceedingly long list of nuances around data as we pursue making Strava work for thousands of devices, each with its recording subtleties and differences.

Hopefully that helps clear things up and explains why you might see some crafty athletes running til they see 1.01 on the watch. We will strive to continue using this forum as a place to transparently explain more of these types of situations to athletes.

Varun | Staff Software Engineer - Geo Team
https://www.strava.com/athletes/varun

View solution in original post

Your philosophical stance just cost me a pb on a half marathon that i have been training for for 5 months. Garmin says 21.1km and Strava says 21.09km. What gives you the right to do this? Rounding down is just stupid. I work with data for a living and no dataset is 100% correct anyway, but you are denying athletes pb’s for a couple of meters. I trained, i cried, I covered the distance but yet you deny me a pb. Do you really think that anyone cares about your philosophical stance? Its stupid. Who is the clown making these decisions in your company? Get your act together Strava!

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44

So if your sales director has a sales target of say $10k and that person only reaches $9,999.99, would you deny him his bonus ? I dont think so. Match Garmin or dont sync with Garmin

Per the rules of World Athletics, a marathon is 42.195 km, not 42.19499999999999999999... . If the distance covered is even a fraction of a nanometer short, your sales manager won't get a bonus from World Athletics. That means no world record, no olympic ticket, no Boston Qualifier... .

Garmin should round distances down like Strava does.

The source of this data is Garmin, not Strava. You dont have the right to change the data. 

In slightly oversimplified terms Garmin sends a series of gps coordinates that maps your track. The issue is that the way Garmin adds up the distance between those points is different from how Strava calculates and adds up the distance between the points.

So it's not that Strava is "changing" the data rather they are comming up with a different answer for the same dataset due to a difference in how they are interpreting the raw data.

Hi Varun,
Your text explains a lot, but it doesn't make it right. When I run an official half-marathon, then a professional company has measured the distance 3 times, just to make sure it's correct. No philosophical stance or roounding should deny me my Best Effords or Challanges reward in such cases. But Strava does. Running just a bit more might be an option (although quite ridiculous) during training, but in competion it just isn't. Get your act together!

I have just been discussing this exact issue on Reddit and saw the following comment:

I just looked at several of my runs and on a 10k distance, every one is short anywhere from .01mi to 0.03mi. My watch is uploading in FIT and has the distance embedded in the data. Are we sure it's just rounding? I personally don't care if it's off 0.03mi on a 10K distance.

I understand that the 0.01 mile difference can be explained by rounding, but how the larger differences would be explained? The same reddit thread gives another example of 0.06 mile difference when uploading from Apple watch. Now that I think about that I also recall seeing 0.02 mile difference when uploading from Suunto 9 Baro via FIT format. 

@varun  This isn't just an issue with Garmin, as I have friends/fellow runners who experience this with COROS watches.

Also, I would refer you to my post on this topic where I cited non-GPS activities such as indoor rowing where the source data is registered as one distance, but STRAVA arbitrarily rounds down, e.g. 5000 meters on a C2 rower calculated as 4997 on STRAVA.

https://communityhub.strava.com/t5/devices-and-connections/distance-discrepancy-between-strava-and-g...

@MattS_bsb if you can file a Support ticket with your C2 rowing files, we can take a look into what is going on there, as it is likely (as you and others in the linked post noted) different than the "rounding" issue here.

Varun | Staff Software Engineer - Geo Team
https://www.strava.com/athletes/varun

Varun, Thank you for the detailed answer! I think Garmin does a proper rounding and not always rounding up. In other words, 4.995 rounds to 5.0 but 4.994 rounds to 4.99. Personally I think that is the way to go. That is the proper scientific approach that everyone gets taught in school. Always rounding down is arbitrary, especially considering that GPS distance error is typically much greater than the rounding error. Because of that the notion that a user might not have run the distance is simply wrong. Rounding down is even more annoying in some parts of the UI that show only one decimal digit, for example in the week stats or in the training calendar. 

That's not how World Atletics and any national athletic association does it. Official race rules say to round all distances down and all times up.