cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

The Hub is now in read-only mode as we make improvements to the Hub experience. More information is available here.

We’re Improving Leaderboard Accuracy ✅

mal
Strava
Strava

Good news! We’re updating our algorithms to make leaderboards more credible, and taking steps to proactively prevent suspicious efforts from appearing on leaderboards – so you can trust that the results you see are accurate. We're withholding from leaderboards any activities that appear incorrectly labeled (e.g. a bike ride getting uploaded as a run) or have faulty GPS data.

With these and other ongoing changes, we can better ensure your efforts will get the ranking they deserve and you can trust that the CR, KOM or QOM (plus all the other times on the leaderboard) are the real deal. These changes will be for all activities moving forward – we can’t yet capture past activities. And of course, you can still report an activity if you think there’s one the algorithm missed. Learn more about that here.

This is a big undertaking – we saw around 26,000 1-mile running splits that would have been faster than the world record last week! – and the work will be ongoing. Here’s how we’re committing to cleaning up leaderboards right now:

The Details 📝

✔️ There’s a new threshold for flagging: Activities with too much erroneous data will be automatically flagged – which means all segment efforts from those activities will be withheld from leaderboards.
✔️ We’re doubling down on catching bike rides (or downhill ski runs, car rides, etc.) marked as runs with new run-specific parameters that will flag activities based on their distance and pace data.

Malire
STRAVA | Product Marketing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Scout
Moderator Moderator

👋 Hello!
Thanks to everyone who has commented and provided feedback. We are excited to share a segment update with you that will improve leaderboard accuracy! 

Check it out here: We’re Changing Segments – For The Better

We will also be closing this post for comments as we will be reviewing the above post for any feedback and comments. Thank you!

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

48 REPLIES 48

Scout
Moderator Moderator

👋 Hello!
Thanks to everyone who has commented and provided feedback. We are excited to share a segment update with you that will improve leaderboard accuracy! 

Check it out here: We’re Changing Segments – For The Better

We will also be closing this post for comments as we will be reviewing the above post for any feedback and comments. Thank you!

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

ARoger
Pico de Orizaba

https://www.strava.com/activities/12486956951#3273408790740594804
Date: August 30, 2024
Max Speed: 104.8 km/h
Elapsed Time: 575h

How come this wasn't automatically flagged?

@ARoger  I think this ride was edited after you have viewed it (maybe with "correct distance") as the high values aren't there.

**bleep**, I posted the wrong one. I've edited my post.

@ARoger - It looks like the new link you corrected it to goes to an activity that appears to have been edited as well.  Yes, the elapsed time still shows the 575 hours, but the actual activity is only showing 100 miles and just under 9 hours of total time, a very realistic set of stats for biking.  There appears to possibly be some anomalies in the data, showing a max speed of just over 61mph, but that could just be residual from what was cropped out just like the elapsed time.   I've had this happen when I have recorded an entire triathlon as one activity, then went back to "split" it into separate activities after.  One of the files (usually the first one) will retain the total elapsed time of the original file even after being split or cropped down to just the relevant part.

Obvious troll or spam bot. Leaning towards spam bot. That reply is 100% AI generated.

Velopura
Shkhara

1000011502.png

 438 mile per hour KOM. How does this get past auto flagging? Ridiculous.

anchskier
Denali

@mal @Jane @Scout - What is so hard about creating some basic controls on activities that would filter out OBVIOUSLY bad activities?  How can someone load a "ride" that has an average of 45mph with an average heart rate of 67bpm over 56 miles and your system does not question it?  This is F-ing ridiculous!  See the activity below for just one example.  This happens ALL THE TIME, yet somehow your programmers can't figure out how to screen these out?  

Afternoon Ride | Ride | Strava (https://www.strava.com/activities/12044135676)

Rdhb
Shkhara

Strava made this announcement over a year ago, and I'm still getting multiple notifications per day from people that have taken my KOMs and are very obviously driving cars. When is this actually going to be implemented?