cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

The Hub is now in read-only mode as we make improvements to the Hub experience. More information is available here.

Apple Watch Summary not matching App Summary

izakzaza
Mt. Kenya

This has happened a few times during my 8km lunch run at work.

Basically during the whole run my Apple watch will say avg. pace: 5:45 per KM and also when finishing the run it says the same on the summary on the watch. But when I look at the summary on my iPhone it says 5:30 avg. pace per KM.

Another thing is also that is will say 5:41 elapsed avg pace. but I never pause the run or actually stop (except once or twice for 1-2 seconds for cars at crosswalks). So everything feels off right now, the HR, the pace, the elapsed time.

- Apple Watch SE
- No auto-pause
- Not manually pausing
- iPhone is with me during the run and connected with Bluetooth to my watch.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @izakzaza 

Thanks for your post. A couple of things come to mind. Generally, the stats you see on your watch during a recording are preliminary. Once your data is uploaded, it goes through our analyzer and it's normal to see some slight discrepancies between what you see on your watch and what appears in your Strava activity after saving. Typically we would expect these discrepancies to be small.

Something else to consider is moving time vs. elapsed calculations. If you're not manually pausing your device, we will detect any stops/pauses during your run by looking at your GPS data. In other words, we use your recorded GPS data to determine if you were moving or not, and the pace we show on the Strava activity page is based on moving time, not elapsed time. If GPS data is imperfect, that can impact the accuracy of our moving time calculation.

One thing you could try would be to manually pause your device when you have to stop for a light (or any other reason) and then resume the recording when you begin moving. When you do that, we will use those paused events to calculate your moving time instead of the GPS data.

For more information please visit this article

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @izakzaza 

Thanks for your post. A couple of things come to mind. Generally, the stats you see on your watch during a recording are preliminary. Once your data is uploaded, it goes through our analyzer and it's normal to see some slight discrepancies between what you see on your watch and what appears in your Strava activity after saving. Typically we would expect these discrepancies to be small.

Something else to consider is moving time vs. elapsed calculations. If you're not manually pausing your device, we will detect any stops/pauses during your run by looking at your GPS data. In other words, we use your recorded GPS data to determine if you were moving or not, and the pace we show on the Strava activity page is based on moving time, not elapsed time. If GPS data is imperfect, that can impact the accuracy of our moving time calculation.

One thing you could try would be to manually pause your device when you have to stop for a light (or any other reason) and then resume the recording when you begin moving. When you do that, we will use those paused events to calculate your moving time instead of the GPS data.

For more information please visit this article

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team