cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edge 830 can't connect to strava routes

Mikolaj32167
Mt. Kenya

Hi I have a problem,
I cannot connect to strava routes. I have tried many times unfortunately without success.

Deleting the app / changing wifi / factory reset does nothing.

When I try to log in via facebook I get a message that the security of my account via facebook login in the built-in browser is disabled.

When I try to log in via email address, I get an authorisation message Connect IQ Routes Export to connect Strava, -> press Authorisation -> on the phone: login process completed return to garmin device.

ONLY the Edge 830 shows "Trouble connecting to the server Error Code:401".

Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Mikolaj32167 

Thanks for getting back to us. That 401 error code means Garmin isn't able to authenticate your Strava login credentials. 

Am I understanding correctly from your post that you sign into Strava via Facebook login? If that's the case, I recommend changing this to an email/password direct login instead:

To do this, you'll need to create a password. The best way to do this is to use the password recovery process. Go to https://www.strava.com/account/recover and enter the email address used in your Facebook account. You should receive a link to reset your password within minutes.

Once you've confirmed you can sign into Strava using your email and password, I recommend un-starring and then re-starring the routes you want to sync to your Garmin device.  If you continue to see the 401 error on your Edge device at that point, I'd suggest reaching out to Garmin Support for further troubleshooting suggestions: https://support.garmin.com/

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Jimi
Strava
Strava

Apologies for the recent troubles using the Strava Routes ConnectIQ app on your Garmin device. The Strava Routes app is no longer supported

Please review this article for more information: 

• Syncing Strava Routes to your Garmin Device

You need to enable the Courses permission in Garmin Connect.

Garmin Connect website: Enable Courses permission in your Account Information page in order to take advantage of the integration.

From the Garmin Connect mobile app: Using the Connect mobile app, navigate to Settings > Partner Apps > Strava > Enable Courses permission.

If the setting is already enabled, please double check that your device is compatible and contains a Courses folder.

For more information, here is a link to our Knowledge Base article: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000919304

Thanks for your helpful reply Jimi. The Strava routes are successfully syncing to my Garmin Edge 820 (yes, I have Courses enabled). My problem is that I'm unable to launch Strava Routes via ConnectIQ, and I assume that's because it is no longer supported by ConnectIQ?

No worries at all. If you would like to remove a connect IQ app/datafield from your Edge, open up the Connect IQ app on your phone (not the Garmin Connect mobile app).  Make sure that your Garmin is powered on. In the bottom right of the Connect IQ app screen click on "My Device". Select your Edge, select 'My device apps' on that page, then click on the Routes IQ app and select Uninstall. Let me know if that works. 

That all works perfectly thanks. TBH I've not used my Garmin for a couple of years, so I'm only just getting used to using the Connect app again!

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Mikolaj32167 

Thanks for getting back to us. That 401 error code means Garmin isn't able to authenticate your Strava login credentials. 

Am I understanding correctly from your post that you sign into Strava via Facebook login? If that's the case, I recommend changing this to an email/password direct login instead:

To do this, you'll need to create a password. The best way to do this is to use the password recovery process. Go to https://www.strava.com/account/recover and enter the email address used in your Facebook account. You should receive a link to reset your password within minutes.

Once you've confirmed you can sign into Strava using your email and password, I recommend un-starring and then re-starring the routes you want to sync to your Garmin device.  If you continue to see the 401 error on your Edge device at that point, I'd suggest reaching out to Garmin Support for further troubleshooting suggestions: https://support.garmin.com/

Jane (she/her)

Good afternoon,

I am having the same issues. I only ever log in using a username and password, including the Garman Connect app. I am still receiving the Error 401 code.

This is becoming frustrating as both your platform and Garmin keep sidelining the issue with each other.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Mikolaj32167 

Thanks for your post and sorry to hear of the issue. Can you confirm you've enabled Strava Routes on your Garmin account? That is the first step in the process.

Please review the step by step instructions at this link

Jane (she/her)

Thanks for respond.

Yes i enabled everything like in this guide. 

To notice! I don't have premium, but I heard its not required for  strava routes on garmin.

When im just trying to connect to strava routes via garmin, im Just getting this communicate: "Trouble connecting to the server Error Code:401"

I'm having exactly the same problem with Edge 820 running Software Version 12.70 I log in with email and password and I have enabled everything as in the guide. I get the same error code. Also, I don't have premium.