cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live Segments on Garmin not appearing

fofin
Mt. Kenya

The Live segment on my Garmin 1040 stoped showing. Any tips how to fix this problem???THX

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This query was also posted in this thread and received a reply.
TLDR: Live segments don't always work when following routes on Garmin, this is an ongoing known issue. The solution is to unstar the old segments, resync your Garmin to Garmin Connect, then star them again and resync one more time.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @fofin 

Thanks for posting about this.  I've included some general troubleshooting steps below.  

1. You must star segments in order to sync them to your device, otherwise you will only be notified about "popular segments"
  2. You must use the Garmin Connect mobile app or Garmin Express to sync your Garmin device (this process pushes segments to the device)
  3. Make sure you're using Strava segments and not Garmin segments on Garmin Connect. Read the FAQ here.
  4. Segments must have a positive average grade. Downhill segments will not sync to devices for Live Segment use.

For more information please see our article on Strava Live Segments on your Garmin.  If the problem is with starred segments not syncing, try un-starring the segment, syncing with your Garmin, and then re-starring it and syncing again.  

Let us know if that helps.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Hey Jane, this does not seem to work for me when riding a route. Segments only appear while 'free' riding (no route loaded). 
Not all segments appear on the Connect course either (purple flags). 

This query was also posted in this thread and received a reply.
TLDR: Live segments don't always work when following routes on Garmin, this is an ongoing known issue. The solution is to unstar the old segments, resync your Garmin to Garmin Connect, then star them again and resync one more time.

This "solution" does not actually work.

You also need to ensure that the route was created after the segments were starred. You cannot even just copy/duplicate the previous route (that has no effect), you actually need to draw it manually from start to finish. 🙃

So if you go for a vacation abroad and want new segments to show up there, then return to home and want your regular routes and segments to work, it's a long and tedious process:

1. Unstar all your local routes and segments. Sync to Garmin.
  2. Create the routes for your vacation. Do not sync to Garmin.
  3. Look up the segments you want along these routes, and star them.
  4. Re-draw the routes for your vacation, and delete those you already made in step B.
  5. Star the new routes and sync to Garmin.
  6. Go on vacation and cross your fingers that the live segments work... If they don't, redo the process of steps C-D-E.
  7. When you come back, unstar all the segments and routes abroad. Sync to Garmin.
  8. Star your local segments again.
  9. Recreate your local routes, and delete the old versions (their live segments don't work since they've been unstarred since last time you used these routes). Star the new routes, and sync to Garmin.
  10. Cross your fingers that the local routes and live segments work again...

anderfo
Pico de Orizaba

I wish it was possible to select more easily which 100 segments to transfer. I had 28 pages of favorite segments in Strava, basically because I used it to keep track of nice climbs I wanted to visit around the country over the next few years. And some Zwift segments and nordic skiing segments. Since only the last 100 of them are synced, most of them will never work on my Garmin.

So, to sync other segments when going for vacation, I had to unstar 28 pages of probably 20 or 30 segments on each page, a very tedious process (and I've now also "lost" all those that I unstarred...). Then I have to look them up one by one for each route I want to do. This is so time consuming!

What if we could instead star all segments we wanted, and rather have a map view where we can define our current "region of interest" and sync all our favorite segments within that area?

(I might post this in the "Idea" part of this forum....)

I can imagine how tedious that must have been, I'm sorry it was so time consuming and understand it must be frustrating to have "lost" those starred segments. It doesn't seem ideal. I think that's a great idea that you should definitely share in the Ideas board! Be sure to check out our Ideas guidelines.

The idea has a few kudos now, but how many kudos does it need before it's being prioritized? It does not have hundreds of kudos, but I suspect it's a pretty simple thing to implement...