cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shimano Connect Lab - Strava

Alpen1
Mt. Kenya

I have had a Shimano Power Meter for a while, and I use a Garmin Edge 820. My power is linked with Garmin and displays live data on screen, and my rides transfer to Strava from Garmin Connect. However I am not currently getting any power info into strava so I can't review this info easily in starva, which is mainly where I do my post ride analysis.

I can also see the power data in Shimano Connect Lab, which is also linked to Garmin for the ride data so it is clerarly logging it.. I think that shimano connect lab should export the power data to Strava but does this happen alongside the Garmin export?

There are too many things going on here! Although Shimano connect Lab is linked to strava too it doesn't seem to transfer the data?  I have no idea now how to resolve this?

Assistanace appreciated! Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ActivityFix
Superuser
Superuser

The first thing I would check is if the file Strava receives from Garmin Connect has power data in it. On Desktop (not available in the app), go to your activity and click the "..." menu on the left side, then select "Export Original" to download the file Strava received. If it's coming from GC it will be a .fit file, which you can view in something like https://www.fitfileviewer.com/. Once you've loaded the file, scroll down to the data records (there will be lots of them) and look at a few random ones to see if they have non-zero power data.

If power data exists, the problem is likely on Strava's side. I don't know if there's a setting to disable power but I don't *think* there is. You may need to contact Strava support.

If the original file is missing power data, the issue is in the source of the data. You'll first need to figure out if the upload is coming from Garmin or Shimano. I'm not familiar with Shimano Connect Lab but in Garmin Connect you can view the activity and make sure it shows power data. You can also do a similar check by exporting the original file from GC (Click into the activity, gear icon in the top right, export original) and checking it in the same way you checked the file from Strava. I assume Shimano has a similar functionality if it's the data source. If that file does have power data, then you'll need to contact Garmin/Shimano to figure out why the file they're providing to Strava doesn't have power data in it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ActivityFix
Superuser
Superuser

The first thing I would check is if the file Strava receives from Garmin Connect has power data in it. On Desktop (not available in the app), go to your activity and click the "..." menu on the left side, then select "Export Original" to download the file Strava received. If it's coming from GC it will be a .fit file, which you can view in something like https://www.fitfileviewer.com/. Once you've loaded the file, scroll down to the data records (there will be lots of them) and look at a few random ones to see if they have non-zero power data.

If power data exists, the problem is likely on Strava's side. I don't know if there's a setting to disable power but I don't *think* there is. You may need to contact Strava support.

If the original file is missing power data, the issue is in the source of the data. You'll first need to figure out if the upload is coming from Garmin or Shimano. I'm not familiar with Shimano Connect Lab but in Garmin Connect you can view the activity and make sure it shows power data. You can also do a similar check by exporting the original file from GC (Click into the activity, gear icon in the top right, export original) and checking it in the same way you checked the file from Strava. I assume Shimano has a similar functionality if it's the data source. If that file does have power data, then you'll need to contact Garmin/Shimano to figure out why the file they're providing to Strava doesn't have power data in it.

Thanks for the response...

I have now disabled Garmin connect sending activities to strava, Garmin is now sending it to Shimano connect Lab, as that is where it needs to send the power data.

Shimano Connect Lab then send it onto Strava presumably with the power data embedded.

The ride I did this morning uploadde via this route to Strava so all good..

Only issue is power data still isn't displaying in Strava!

I did as you said. Downloaded fit file from strava, and looked at the data.. I couldn't find power but I did find that ftp power data was sent.. Do you think this means that the power data is getting there??

How else can I check in Fit file viewer? Which bit shoudl I be looking at?

Thanks very much

Alex