cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strava Android app is unable to start, crashes right away

tocsa
Shkhara

Phone: OnePlus Nord EU, latest updates (Android 12)

Strava App is installed from the US Play Store, version: 304.7

The app crashes upon start. I tried clearing the cache, then clearing the data. I also force closed the app, manually granted all permissions listed and checked off the permission removal switch of Android for the app. Notifications are enabled.

Since I develop mobile apps on the sideline (full stack engineer by day), here is a crash in the LogCat:

FATAL EXCEPTION: main
Process: com.strava, PID: 19464
java.lang.VerifyError: Verifier rejected class wo.b: java.util.ArrayList wo.b.b(int[]) failed to verify: java.util.ArrayList wo.b.b(int[]): [0x2] register v5 has type Precise Reference: int[] but expected Integer (declaration of 'wo.b' appears in /data/app/~~fE5W-2zgiREc9O8kTVwrqw==/com.strava-7dbUSga14tj9ByV9K1DkhQ==/base.apk!classes4.dex)
at ii.d4.u5(ProGuard:1)
at ii.d4.L4(ProGuard:35)
at ii.d4.Y2(ProGuard:1)
at com.strava.StravaApplication.onCreate(ProGuard:59)
at android.app.Instrumentation.callApplicationOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:1226)
at android.app.ActivityThread.handleBindApplication(ActivityThread.java:7046)
at android.app.ActivityThread.access$1800(ActivityThread.java:254)
at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:2184)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:106)
at android.os.Looper.loopOnce(Looper.java:233)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:344)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:8212)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:584)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1034)

And the only other Exception level log message related to Strava I see is:

2023-04-20 13:04:14.443 3682-4097 AuthDialogHelper com.oplus.persist.system W checkNotificationSwitchFirst() called with: context = [com.oplus.notification.NotificationCenterService@6e16f96], pkg = [com.strava], uid = [10258], userId = [0], init checker
2023-04-20 13:04:14.444 3682-4097 AuthDialogHelper com.oplus.persist.system E CheckNotificationCanBeSetSecond: check com.strava , Notification master switch on, unable to pop dialog

I used the app yesterday and the day before without an issue. I also restarted my phone to try again. I haven't had an OS update for a while now, lats one was a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure when was the last update of my Strava app. In the Play Store I can only see that I'm part of the beta program.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tocsa
Shkhara

Interesting. I didn't leave the beta program, but uninstalling and reinstalling the app helped. Not sure how that differs from just wiping the cache and data of the app, theoretically it should be the same. I could start it and log in now.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

LouB
Strava Alumni

There is a known incident on v304.7 which you can track on our Status Incident Page here

Eve
(She/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Visit our Help Center to search our support articles

tocsa
Shkhara

Hopefully the call stack may help the engineers. I'm sure they'll see my two dozens of crashes, maybe someone can link this issue together.

tocsa
Shkhara

Interesting. I didn't leave the beta program, but uninstalling and reinstalling the app helped. Not sure how that differs from just wiping the cache and data of the app, theoretically it should be the same. I could start it and log in now.

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings