cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me understand Training Impulse for Swimming Activities in Fitness & Freshness

mskolsky
Mt. Kenya

I track two types of exercise in Strava, Cycling and Swimming.

On the bike, I simultaneously use a power meter and a Polar H10 heart rate monitor.  My understanding is that Strava uses these two inputs to "calibrate" a Training Impulse estimate based on Relative Effort so that can be used for the times when I ride without a power meter or do something other than cycling.

My Fitness and Freshness page is set up to use both, "Power and Relative Effort."

When I bike, my power-based Training Load (which gets used directly for Training Impulse) is always about 0.7x Relative Effort.

When I swim, I wear a heart rate monitor and Strava calculates a Relative Effort.  I expected Training Impulse to be about 0.7x Relative effort for the swims, because that's what it is when I bike with power meter and heart rate monitor.  TSS is always smaller than RE on the bike.  But I see the opposite result.  From swimming, the "Training Impulse" is always about 1.3xRE.

When I bike, TI<RE, but when I swim, TI>RE (about the same ratio, but inverted).

Should I expect the TI:RE ratio from my cycling to carry over successfully to swimming?  It doesn't

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jan_Mantau
Denali

Even for riding with powermeters the formula TRIMP = RE x 1.3 is used in case you switch from "Power and Relative Effort" to "Relative Effort". They must have stopped calculating the relation between Training Load and Relative Effort, I can remember this feature exists in 2019.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jan_Mantau
Denali

Even for riding with powermeters the formula TRIMP = RE x 1.3 is used in case you switch from "Power and Relative Effort" to "Relative Effort". They must have stopped calculating the relation between Training Load and Relative Effort, I can remember this feature exists in 2019.

https://medium.com/strava-engineering/fitness-freshness-updates-5d1057d67fac

Thank you for the reply, Jan.  The article I linked above was from 2014.  Back then, it looks like Strava automatically calibrated TRIMP from RE.  As you said, it looks like they must have stopped doing that.

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings