cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I Insert waypoints at particular distance intervals?

PB
Mt. Kenya

Hi,
Completely new to Strava;

I've planned a route, now would like to install waypoints at particular km intervals, lets say every 30km - the route is a few hundred kms. 

How do I do this?

I am hovering over the KM marker flags and trying to add a waypoint by clicking, but it is not letting me.

Thanks for any help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That's quite a long route 😅 are you attempting to do that in one go? I'd recommend you split it up into smaller ones. Last year I rode my bike across several states and I made a route for each day, with the start point picking up where I planned to sleep the previous night. It worked out pretty well! If you plan on using another device like a Wahoo or Garmin to load and follow the route, you might even have the option to "route you to the start", which is useful, too. But if it's one long route and you plan on stopping in between, I think it's a better idea to split it up into sections.

The waypoints will display every 10 miles for the first 100, then it's every 50 miles as you noticed.

@PB wrote:

Is there a feature where you can see a cross section of the routed and then just add waypoints (including comments) at particular distance intervals? 

As of now, we don't have that option, nor is it possible to add comments to waypoints, but if you want to, you can share that on our Ideas Board. We kindly ask that you review our Idea Guidelines, particularly the “What makes a good idea” section, to ensure that your ideas are clear, concise, and can reach as many others as possible.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

PB
Mt. Kenya

Thanks Soren.

Unfortunately that didn't help. The platform is saying "unable to complete action." 

The route is 1000mi, so perhaps it is too large?

I am trying to add waypoints every 30mi. 

Is there a feature where you can see a cross section of the routed and then just add waypoints (including comments) at particular distance intervals? 

The distance markers show every 10mi up to 100, then after that they only show every 50mi.

How can i see distance markers every 10mi?

Thanks

That's quite a long route 😅 are you attempting to do that in one go? I'd recommend you split it up into smaller ones. Last year I rode my bike across several states and I made a route for each day, with the start point picking up where I planned to sleep the previous night. It worked out pretty well! If you plan on using another device like a Wahoo or Garmin to load and follow the route, you might even have the option to "route you to the start", which is useful, too. But if it's one long route and you plan on stopping in between, I think it's a better idea to split it up into sections.

The waypoints will display every 10 miles for the first 100, then it's every 50 miles as you noticed.

@PB wrote:

As of now, we don't have that option, nor is it possible to add comments to waypoints, but if you want to, you can share that on our Ideas Board. We kindly ask that you review our Idea Guidelines, particularly the “What makes a good idea” section, to ensure that your ideas are clear, concise, and can reach as many others as possible.

Soren
Denali

Hi @PB Welcome to Strava and the Community! Routes are so much fun to create, I use this feature all the time, whether it's creating my own route or editing someone else's. In order to add a waypoint, you'll have to click and drag between two existing waypoints on your route. Just one click effectively moves the endpoint so you kind of have to click and drag it a little till you see the new waypoint created. Here's a video recording, let me know if this helps!