cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid time while importing training from GPX

Beniamin
Shkhara

Hi Guys

I am importing my hiking trails from 3rd party app. I review GPX files manually, and all tracking points look fine, but imported to Strava shows training duration e.g. 1:16h while in origin it was 8:32h.

Have any idea?

I have already tried such converter https://gotoes.org/strava/Combine_GPX_TCX_FIT_Files.php but the final result is the same.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Beniamin 

Thanks for posting about this.   Can you confirm that it's the moving time that is incorrect (versus the elapsed time)? We show both moving time and elapsed time on hike activities, however we base your average pace on moving time.

We rely on the completeness and accuracy of your GPS data to calculate your moving time.  The sampling rate of your GPS device is a major factor, especially if you are moving relatively slowly over difficult terrain.  Generally, you'll want to increase the sampling rate if your GPS device offers this option.  Large gaps between GPS points mean we don't have the data we need to calculate an accurate moving time.

Please check out this article for more information and we're happy to answer any more questions.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

Hello @Beniamin 

Yes you're correct, gaps in your recorded GPS data will lead to an erroneous calculation of "moving time" on your hike activity.  There isn't a way to set that to use elapsed time instead, but we do have an existing feature suggestion from another Community member on this topic.  We would welcome your vote (kudos) and any additional comment you may have on that suggestion.

Jane (she/her)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Beniamin
Shkhara

Hello @Jane 

Thanks for your support and explanations provided. In fact, I was not sure which time was incorrect and now I've just tested it again to get this issue known better. 

To be on the same page - I record my activity with 3rd party application, so maybe pause/resume actions are not 100% clear to Strava import engine.

So now I see that moving time is completely irrelevant, but it may comes from issues with GPS data recording (which I noticed, but that's another story with my Oxygen 13.1), because there are some gaps which lead to calculations like speed from 25s/km to 10:11/km. Am I right?

On the other hand, elapsed time does not take into consideration all pauses. In other words, it gets breaks as a part of activity and now I understand why. However, it would be better (far closer to truth) to present elapsed time instead of moving time for hike activity in case of such difference. Is there any kind of switch to be use for training upload or kind of automation for chosen types of activity?

Thanks for your support and enjoy your day.

image.png

Hello @Beniamin 

Yes you're correct, gaps in your recorded GPS data will lead to an erroneous calculation of "moving time" on your hike activity.  There isn't a way to set that to use elapsed time instead, but we do have an existing feature suggestion from another Community member on this topic.  We would welcome your vote (kudos) and any additional comment you may have on that suggestion.

Jane (she/her)

Hi @Jane 

Thanks for your engagement and support. Following your advice I voted for that suggestion.

KR

Beniamin

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Beniamin 

Thanks for posting about this.   Can you confirm that it's the moving time that is incorrect (versus the elapsed time)? We show both moving time and elapsed time on hike activities, however we base your average pace on moving time.

We rely on the completeness and accuracy of your GPS data to calculate your moving time.  The sampling rate of your GPS device is a major factor, especially if you are moving relatively slowly over difficult terrain.  Generally, you'll want to increase the sampling rate if your GPS device offers this option.  Large gaps between GPS points mean we don't have the data we need to calculate an accurate moving time.

Please check out this article for more information and we're happy to answer any more questions.

Jane (she/her)

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings