cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

The Hub is now in read-only mode as we make improvements to the Hub experience. More information is available here.

What determines the ordering of activity types on my in-app Profile tab?

dantsai
Pico de Orizaba

When I go to the "You" tab on the mobile app (I'm on iOS), for some reason "Walk" shows up first, followed by All Run, Run, and Bike. "Run" is set as my primary sport, so I can't think of any reason why Walk would be shown first.

I've attached a screenshot below. It seems unintuitive to me, and there's no way to change the ordering.

IMG_0539.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the info, Dan. I cross-referenced this with our engineers and the ordering appears to be working as intended. The changes that were rolled out made it so that the order is determined by the number of activities per sport type, the more frequent and recent, the more prominent it will be in the chart. However, if you've carried out multiple activities that fall under one of the Sport Type groups (All Ride/Run-E-Sport) -- e.g. Ride and Mountain Bike Ride, then the "All Ride" category would appear before "Ride" or 'Mountain Bike Ride". Apologies for any confusion, I hope it's clear now.

If you have any feedback in regards to the way it's displayed or ordered, we're eager to hear about it and I'll be happy to pass it along.

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38

So why isn’t all run listed first as the combination of run and trail run activities are more than walk.  It’s been previously stated that this is how the algorithm is supposed to work.

This just isn’t true.  It is still an incredibly frustrating issue.  Both by number of activities, hours, miles, my running far outweight walk in every category and I still have walk as first activity.  So dumb.  Doesn’t seem like it would be a difficult fix.

Soren-

I don’t think the algorithm is properly working.  I run everyday and there are times I will have two runs a day (i.e., if I start earlier before someone joins later I will record as two runs).  While I record dog walks, there is usually at least a day a week we will miss because of weather.  The order of my activities just switched this week to place walk as first/primary activity.  This is incredibly frustrating.

@jtholl76 thanks for bringing this to our awareness. I've escalated your post to our Support team for further investigation. We'll need a screenshot of your activities graph, but you can follow up with that in the email! 

I’ve attached graph.  
By looking at this, I would assume because I jogged a 100 mile race in April and was out of town so my dog walking was non-existent for those days, now for the month of May, in comparison, shows my running decreased and my walking increased, it has changed the order even though you can see I still have more running activities than walking in May in addition to more miles and time running than walking too.C40C90E1-0653-44BB-A425-11706D92ED8C.png

So it appears that the algorithm you keep referencing on the “hub” with this response

Posted by Soren
“I cross-referenced this with our engineers and the ordering appears to be working as intended. The changes that were rolled out made it so that the order is determined by the number of activities per sport type, the more frequent and recent, the more prominent it will be in the chart.”

is simply not true either.  
Please have engineers update the algorithm so it simply has whichever activity cumulatively has the most time is listed first.
True lack of knowledge of the algorithm on an app I pay for is very frustrating.

Hey just wanted to loop back and update anyone following along that there was some confusion here with the charts in question -- they are different charts and the one in question in @jtholl76 's post is the monthly activity chart, which utilizes a slightly shorter timeframe (2 months) to determine the order in which activities are displayed.

This is my end of week recap.  I have 70 miles of running to 25 miles of walking.  For month of May, I have 24 running activities to 21 walking.  I’m still trying to figure out why walk is now listed first in my activity profile.  It just switched this week.  This is so frustrating.  All of your responses say it has to do with the number of activities but this is not true since I have more running activities than walking.  Also, all of my data show that my running, in miles and time, are far greater than my walking.

71DC56B3-59AE-4326-B4DC-18663A9B2947.png

560D2D04-F935-478F-BCDD-8335F93C4789.png

8C69561F-A629-423A-8B5F-1C41BA8E1149.png

Soren-

what graph do you want to see?

Every month my running far outweighs my walking and I still have walk as first listed activity now.

Is there an algorithm for the ordering or is it just random and y’all have no idea why it is re-ordering the activities randomly.

Thanks @Soren, I shared an upvote and will comment in agreement -- love to see this feature. I appreciate it!