cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are satellite maps so out of date?

kurtfliegel
Mt. Kenya

Strava, we love you, but why are the MapBox satellite maps so out of date? The house I live in was built in 2017 and is still showing up as a vacant lot. Entire developments near me are missing, including streets. This is not only inconvenient, it's dangerous. We're paying good money for subscriptions, would you please find update or find a better map vendor? Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

kurtfliegel
Mt. Kenya

Yes, thank you, I understand how the open-sourced mapping works, and that view is largely accurate and up to date. It’s the satellite imagery that is not, and many of us use satellite view to plan routes because we can see sidewalks and trails that don’t appear on the static maps. Now that Strava charges significant amounts for subscriptions, it’s time for the company to source satellite maps that are reliable and up-to-date but maybe not free, don’t you think?

Bryant
Moderator Moderator

Hi @kurtfliegel ,
The static maps in the Strava feed and on the activity details page are provided by Mapbox, with the data for roads, places, parks, points of interest, and trails sourced from OpenStreetMap.

You can learn more about the Maps used on Strava, and how to make contributions, within our support article here: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216917717-About-Strava-Maps

If you believe there is data that could benefit from an update, we encourage you to visit OpenStreetMap to share your insights. 

Thank you!

KBryant24
STRAVA | Community Hub Team