cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my starva time, pace and distance so different?

Grant79
Mt. Kenya

I ran my longest run this morning of 6.01 Miles. Garmin also noted it was my PR in the 5K but when it uploaded to Strava, none of this was recognized and the overall time, distance and pace are so different? Screen Shot 2024-02-24 at 3.42.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-02-24 at 3.43.03 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Grant79 

Thanks for posting about this.  It's expected that you will see some minor discrepancies between Garmin and Strava activities. 

We analyze the raw data uploaded from your Garmin device, so certain aspects of your activity analysis may be different. In general, this is because Strava is more strict about resting time so we remove less of it than Garmin Connect. In other words, we're a bit more likely to consider you moving in places where Garmin considers you stopped. This means that even though the elapsed time is the same, the moving time can be a bit different, which can cause differences in average speed. Strava typically reports a bit more moving time and so a bit slower average speed.

I hope that helps clarify.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Grant79 

Thanks for posting about this.  It's expected that you will see some minor discrepancies between Garmin and Strava activities. 

We analyze the raw data uploaded from your Garmin device, so certain aspects of your activity analysis may be different. In general, this is because Strava is more strict about resting time so we remove less of it than Garmin Connect. In other words, we're a bit more likely to consider you moving in places where Garmin considers you stopped. This means that even though the elapsed time is the same, the moving time can be a bit different, which can cause differences in average speed. Strava typically reports a bit more moving time and so a bit slower average speed.

I hope that helps clarify.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team