cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Upcoming Forum Upgrade – New Experience Launching Soon!

Here’s what you need to know about the changes, including upcoming read-only time: Find out more

Tagged Runs

Sock-monkey74
Mt. Kenya

So my friend cannot currently take her phone on a run so she asked me to tag her when we run together.  When uploaded her run starts are always slightly different, it’s not much but I just don’t understand why?

And it is slightly annoying that Strava records her as running slightly further and slightly faster when she’s tagged on my run!

Any thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey @Sock-monkey74
Thanks for your post and sorry for the confusion. When sharing an activity, the athlete receives the GPS only data. The original activity file, from the athlete who initially recorded the activity, may have a distance stream or additional distance data aside from the GPS data points recorded. We do not send this information when sharing an activity, only the GPS data points. When we calculate the distance based on GPS data, we end up with the distance you see on Strava. Please, see our article on How distance is calculated for your activity between GPS device approach and GPS Strava post-upload approach.

There are a number of factors that can contribute to variations in GPS data for distance and speed. Some common factors can include:

• Accuracy of the GPS communication during the activity
  • Frequency of recording GPS data points
  • Sections where GPS did not record (such as the GPS signal temporarily dropping)
  • GPS interference (poor weather conditions, cloud cover, tall buildings)

More information on how this feature works can be found here.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

So my friend cannot currently take her phone on a run so she asked me to tag her when we run together. When uploaded her run starts are always slightly different

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings