cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to Expect as FATMAP Transitions to Strava

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hello Community Members, 

We are here to let you know what to expect as FATMAP transitions to Strava. 

FATMAP and Strava joined forces in January 2023 to make outdoor experiences more accessible. Over the next several months, FATMAP's 3D maps and other features will be built into Strava to create the world’s best platform for planning, navigating, and sharing outdoor adventures with the largest global community of active people.

As we move towards this joint mission, we will retire the FATMAP app and website on October 1, 2024. Until then, you’ll be able to use all the FATMAP features you currently enjoy. After October 1, several FATMAP features will be available in Strava, and the FATMAP app and website will no longer be available.

FATMAP users who wish to transfer their routes or receive copies of their adventures, routes, waypoints, photos, and guidebooks should follow the steps outlined here by October 1st. 

We know you may have questions about this, please read below and let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.....

When will this happen?
FATMAP will be discontinued on October 1st, and you will no longer be able to use the FATMAP app and website. Please make sure that you have downloaded your account data by this date if you wish to keep a copy.

Are you going to maintain the current app until October 1st?
Yes, the current FATMAP app will remain available until
October 1st

Will the FATMAP app remain on my device after October 1st?
The app will remain on your device until you delete it, but it will no longer be usable after October 1st.

Will I be able to use the FATMAP map in Strava?
Yes, we are moving our awesome 3D satellite map to Strava. FATMAP's 3D maps in the Flyover and 3D images in the feed have already been integrated into Strava, with more coming soon. 

Will I be able to transfer my Routes to Strava?
You can transfer your Routes to Strava using the data tool
here. You can find information on how to access your Routes on the Strava website here and in the app here. Please note that only the route title, description, and route line can be transferred to Strava. If you wish to keep other information about the route, such as assigned grades and photos, please export it as well. 

Your Adventures, Guidebooks, and Waypoints can not be transferred to Strava; please use the tool here to download them.

Strava is headquartered in San Francisco, California, and our services are provided to you by Strava Inc. By using Strava Services, you consent to your data being processed in the U.S.

Do I need to transfer my Routes to Strava to use the Strava subscription voucher?
You can use the Strava subscription voucher without transferring your Routes to Strava. If you choose to transfer your data to Strava, you consent to your data being transferred from FATMAP to Strava Inc. For more information regarding Strava's data processing practices and your rights, please see our
Privacy Policy

Whether you transfer your routes to Strava or not, we recommend you export all your account data before the October 1st deadline. After October 1st, this data will be permanently deleted.

Can I download a map to use offline in the Strava app?
Yes, you can download and follow a route offline on Strava. Instructions for making a route available offline here and for following it in the app 
here. You can also export a route to your GPS device or export the GPX file.

How do I export my account data?
You can export your account data here
We recommend you export all your account data before the October 1st deadline. After October 1st, this data will be permanently deleted. Please note that only Routes you created yourself are exported. Routes created by other people and saved in your guidebooks will NOT be in your data export. If you wish to save these routes and you have an Explore subscription, you can export the gpx file from FATMAP as described here.

I have already exported my account data, but I want to continue using the FATMAP app. How can I make sure I do not lose any data?
You can export your account data multiple times, though no more than once per day. We recommend keeping the downloaded data you already have as a backup and then repeating the export process once you have finished adding any new routes, adventures, waypoints, and guidebooks to your FATMAP account. Please note that
you will no longer be able to export your data after the October 1st shutdown, so it is important that you make your final export by this deadline.

How do I delete my FATMAP Account?
You can delete your account either via our mobile app or our website. Once you have deleted your account, you cannot retrieve your data. You can export your account data and delete your account here. If you wish to delete your account without exporting your data, you can also do that via the Settings menu in the mobile app, following these steps: Profile tab > three lines top right > Settings > My Account > Delete account. 

Please note that after October 1st, all user account data will be permanently deleted; please make sure you export your data before then.

I have migrated my Routes to Strava but want to continue using the FATMAP app. How do I proceed?
You can migrate your Routes to Strava multiple times, but not more than once per day. Routes that have already been migrated will not be duplicated. After October 1st, you can no longer use the FATMAP app.

I have a FATMAP Explore membership with my Strava subscription; what will happen to my Explore access after October 1st?
You will continue to enjoy certain FATMAP features on Strava. Your access to the FATMAP app and website will end on October 1st.

Will my Explore privileges remain valid after October 1st?
No, please collect your codes here and use them before October 1st. Strava offers some brand discounts via Challenges, and you can find out more about them here.

What will happen to my FATMAP Explore subscription after October 1st?
If your current subscription does not include Strava, we will provide you with a 6-month Strava subscription voucher so you can continue to enjoy certain FATMAP features on Strava. If the subscription period for which you have paid has not yet expired, you are also eligible for a prorated refund. In this case, please send us a message at explore@fatmap.com

How do I get a refund?
If you do not wish to use the Strava subscription and your current subscription period on FATMAP has not yet expired, you are eligible for a prorated refund. Please send your refund request to explore@fatmap.com.   

I have a Pro account with FATMAP. Will I get the same access in Strava?
Our Pro Access program will not continue, however you may be eligible for a Strava Pro Badge. You can find out more and apply 
here.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. If there is a feature on FATMAP that you would like to see on Strava, please add that to our Ideas Board here.

We welcome your feedback regarding this update and ask that you keep on topic and abide by our Community Guidelines.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

52 REPLIES 52

rondelett
Mt. Kenya

Hi, i am a fatmap user. I use the app mostly for sky touring. Is there a list of the feature u will implement? Will the gradient  and avalanche layers will available? Will it be possible to add routes and create library and so on? Will maps also be winter/summer? Will the navigation be as smooth? Now it really not handy.. In general its a real shame. Fatmap was a unique app. 

Fully agree. For ski touring and mountaineering the avalanche layer, gradient layer, exposition, snow depth layers etc are the biggest plus of FATMAP. avalanche layer, gradient layer, exposition are the most important in combination with a winter map. please keep them.

Really hope all this is kept, along with access to French IGN maps and UK OS maps…but I’m not hopeful  - would be great if someone from Strava could reassure us. 

OrphanOfFatMap
Pico de Orizaba

In my honest opinion it's a shame. Farmap is very usable while Strava is continuously annoying, impossible to use.

The same destiny of other very nice apps in the past.

Good bye FatMap.

Sergeshagal
Mt. Kenya

Hi! Will we be able to download and use the offline 3D maps like it worked with original FATMAP after the transition is done?

Hey @Sergeshagal
Thanks for your post! Currently, using Strava you can also download and follow a route offline. There are instructions to make a route available offline here and to follow it in the app here. You can also export a route to your GPS device or export the GPX file.

We hope to have updates about other mapping features in the future.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

I'm with sergeshagal. Without the ability to download offline 3d maps for use in areas without cell coverage, the merger with Strava is a major disappointment.  I just started my 30 day trial of premium because I thought it would give me access to downloadable 3d maps, but it appears I am mistaken. I think I'll cancel my premium subscription. Let me know when they add that feature and I'll be happy to pay $80/yr for it.

FATMAP has been absolutely brilliant. I really hope Strava keep the functionality but I doubt it. Nothing on here has reassured me sadly. 

Hi, @mcoupe 
You are welcome to the Orphans of FatMap club.

For many years, I wished that Google Earth would add the ability to download 3D maps.  Then fatmap came along and gave me just that with added features like pitch, aspect, avalanche info, etc.  I was so happy. And then Strava bought it and it appears that have pretty much just decided to throw it all away.  I'm literally in mourning right now.