cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This post has been escalated to our Support team for one of the following reasons: it requires sharing personal information, the intervention of an admin, or multiple exchanges. We may also escalate to our Support team if a topic is highly complex or technical.

Galaxy Watch4 and Strava

SimonMilford
Mt. Kenya

My Watch4 used to work perfectly with Strava app but, for about a year now, the Strava app won't find a GPS signal.  I can run Strava on my phone just fine, and routes work well, but there is no heart rate data coming from the Watch4.  Any idea how to fix this?  I've deleted the app and reinstalled it numerous times to no avail.  Strava tech support originally said that there would be an update to fix this, then they stopped responding.

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

This post has been escalated to our Support team. If you have a similar question please submit a support ticket and we will investigate further.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

martinjansa
Shkhara

Hi,

I am having the same problem with Samsung Galaxy Watch model SM-R800 all the SW updated to the most recent version (One UI version 2.0, Tizen version 5.5.0. 2, Software version R800XXU1GWE2, Know version 2.5.0).

When I open Strava app on Galaxy watch many times the GPS symbol is flashing grey and none of the outdoor activities can be started. From about 8 attempts to use Strava for outdoor bicycle ride I got it working only once. I tried restarting the watch outside, even twice in a row, but it does not help to resolve.

The watch itself has not problems with the GPS reception, I can start Samsung Health outdoor activities and all the measurement including the distance are working fine, the problem is related only to Strava app.

I was considering purchasing the Strava subscription, but so far I am happy I did not do that, when I have most of the times no means to capture the activities.

Thanks,

Martin

This happened to me with the same watch and a solution that worked for me was to disconnect the watch from my phone before using the app on my watch.

I also found turning the GPS off and on again on the watch made the GPS come on in the strava app

Hello @martinjansa 

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you're having this issue on your Samsung Galaxy Watch.   Please submit a support ticket and someone from Strava Support will be happy to work directly with you on trying to resolve this issue.

Jane (she/her)

Hi Jane,

thank you for your response. Just created Strava ticket #2687406 Samsung Galaxy Watch model SM-R800: Outdoor activities cannot be started.

Best regards,

Martin

Hi everyone,

This community thread is marked as SOLVED, but no real solution is mentioned here, just a call to action to submit a support ticket. I did that so now I can share the result with others; maybe it helps to save someone's time.

Unfortunately, Strava support provided this response to my support ticket:

It looks like your watch is unable to upgrade to Google's Wear OS 3 which is required to run Strava's latest version. 

Since you are on Wear OS 2.0 you can continue to use Strava on our older application. However, please keep in mind that this application is no longer supported and can not be downloaded from the Google Play or Wear OS store any more.

In fact the 4 years old watch HW is no longer supported, Strava does not work at it in most of the time and is no longer going to be fixed, even the major problems that prevent complete usage of the app on this HW. I have canceled the Strava subscription there is no value for me in it as I am not able to collect almost any data I could analyze.

I hope that Strava works better for others or you at least avoid spending time by trying to get it working.

Martin

Jane
Moderator Moderator

This post has been escalated to our Support team. If you have a similar question please submit a support ticket and we will investigate further.

Jane (she/her)

I have the exact same problem. When I try and start a new activity the Getting GPS fix just spins. I deleted the watch app and reinstalled with no luck. I have a paid subscription and I don't see the need to keep it if I can't use something other than a phone. 

Yep, i last month the Strava on Samsung was able to capture just three outdoor activities for me out of about 15 attempts, a lot of time spent by trying to get it working instead of doing the actual exercise and most of the activities I recorded just by the Samsung Health app instead of Strava. Unfortunately there is no value in the subscription, if the app does not work and I am going to cancel it, if this is not resolved... 😞