cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple recording devices, issues with how information is being recorded in-app.

jmp_0x0000
Mt. Kenya

Hi, hoping that someone may be able to assist me with this! Beginning of the year I bought an XOSS cycle computer and ANT+/BLE speed+cadence sensors. This setup worked great by using the xoss app to export data to Strava, however, I also wanted to record HR data.

Jump forward to a couple of days ago, and I bought a Galaxy Watch 4, installed the Strava app on it, and tried to test a few cycling sessions with it, however there is a problem!

Strava gets the speed/HR data from the watch just fine, however, if I'm recording with both the watch and the XOSS computer/app, rather than combining the data as one would expect, so I would have speed, HR and cadence, two activities are created, and in the app it says I cycled with.... myself... One has the speed/cadence, the other has speed/HR, and the distance logged to my account is doubled.

Given that the recordings are timestamped, shouldn't the app be able to work out that since both my galaxy watch and my phone (which is what I use to sync the XOSS data) are both using the same account, and the times overlap, that the data should be merged into a single activity?

There is no support for BLE cadence sensors in strava, this would have worked as a workaround, since I could then log HR/Cadence/Speed using the watch and the XOSS cadence sensor, and just not sync from the XOSS computer.

Does anyone have a similar setup/issue who has come to a working solution? Smartwatch is the LTE/eSIM version, idea being that I don't have to take my phone with me when I'm cycling.

Is there a beta of the app that has support for BLE cadence?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @jmp_0x0000 

Thanks for posting about this and for doing such a great job explaining about your setup.  I'm happy to provide some clarification around how Strava works in this kind of a scenario.

Firstly, we don't currently merge or combine 2 recorded data streams for the same activity on Strava.  So in your case where you're recording with your Galaxy 4 Watch and the XOSS App, you may end up with duplicate activities on your account as you've described.  I say "may" because we actually attempt to block duplicate uploads like this, and if the start times in the file are close enough, you may find that your second activity upload will fail and not appear on your account. We do this so Athletes won't end up with double mileage which is what you're experiencing. 

We do have an existing idea submission regarding duplicate uploads.  Take a look at it here and we would welcome your comments and votes (kudos).

Secondly, as you've noted, it's not currently possible to connect a cadence sensor to the Wear OS3 App on your Galaxy 4 watch.  This is not in beta and is not on our roadmap for the immediate future.  

One workaround you could investigate, would be to see if you could pair your Galaxy 4 watch to the XOSS device/App as a heart rate sensor.  If that's possible, then the HR data would be included in the XOSS recording which also includes you cadence.

I hope that's helpful.  Let us know how you make out!

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TanskaT
Mt. Kenya

Hi,

You state: "... because we actually attempt to block duplicate uploads like this, and if the start times in the file are close enough, you may find that your second activity upload will fail and not appear on your account."

Are there any other criteria for blocking duplicates (for example time of upload)? I am asking because I am seeing duplicates being created more often than before. I wonder, if this has something to do with me changing from Suunto Spartan Wrist HR Baro to Suunto Race? At least the timing considering the duplicates starting to appear would suit the change in device.

Hello @TanskaT 

Thanks for your reply.  Time of upload will not impact whether or not we consider an activity a duplicate of another.  We consider start times only, however I do know that a change was made a few weeks ago that narrowed the window of how close the start times had to be.  This would be why you are seeing duplicates more often than you did previously.

Apologies for any confusion over this.  

We do have an existing feature request regarding recording and uploading from duplicate devices and Apps.  We would welcome any comments or thoughts you have on that thread.

Jane (she/her)

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @jmp_0x0000 

Thanks for posting about this and for doing such a great job explaining about your setup.  I'm happy to provide some clarification around how Strava works in this kind of a scenario.

Firstly, we don't currently merge or combine 2 recorded data streams for the same activity on Strava.  So in your case where you're recording with your Galaxy 4 Watch and the XOSS App, you may end up with duplicate activities on your account as you've described.  I say "may" because we actually attempt to block duplicate uploads like this, and if the start times in the file are close enough, you may find that your second activity upload will fail and not appear on your account. We do this so Athletes won't end up with double mileage which is what you're experiencing. 

We do have an existing idea submission regarding duplicate uploads.  Take a look at it here and we would welcome your comments and votes (kudos).

Secondly, as you've noted, it's not currently possible to connect a cadence sensor to the Wear OS3 App on your Galaxy 4 watch.  This is not in beta and is not on our roadmap for the immediate future.  

One workaround you could investigate, would be to see if you could pair your Galaxy 4 watch to the XOSS device/App as a heart rate sensor.  If that's possible, then the HR data would be included in the XOSS recording which also includes you cadence.

I hope that's helpful.  Let us know how you make out!

Jane (she/her)