cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to install Strava app on family member apple watch

dadofmany
Mt. Kenya

Hi, I'm trying to install the Strava app for the watch under my son's account on his Apple Watch SE2. It's paired as a family member watch (not primary watch) on my iphone. The phone has the Strava app logged in as him. However, I cannot get the Strava app onto the Apple Watch SE2 so my son can track his runs. When I go to the Watch app on the phone, there is no option to install the Strava app like there is when looking at the primary watch paired to that phone.

When I go to the App Store on the watch, Strava says it's purchased, but when I press on it, it says "Requires iPhone" and I can't do anything more. 

All the OSes are up to date on both the phone and watch, and I've tried restarting the phone and watch several times. 

The Strava app on the iPhone seems to be all setup to have the Strava app on the watch. I just don't know how to get the app onto the watch. 

Is this because it's setup as a family member watch and not the primary watch paired to the iPhone? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @pharmdreb 

I'm not aware of any external Apps that could resolve this.

Unfortunately, the Strava app is not currently supported on Apple Watches configured for Family Sharing. In order to upload activities to Strava and run other features in the app, a unique connected iPhone is required.

However, you may have some options to track your children’s activity and health reports via options provided by Apple. You can read more about this information here: https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/see-health-and-activity-reports-apd6b2bcdb19/watchos

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @dadofmany 

Thanks for your post! I checked in with our Apple Watch Team and can confirm you would need a second iPhone in order to set this up on a second Apple Watch.  Apologies for any confusion.

Jane (she/her)

Jane,

Is there any way to upload data from a family share apple watch without having it paired to its own phone?  Are there any bridge apps that would accomplish this?

Thanks!

Todd

Hi @pharmdreb 

I'm not aware of any external Apps that could resolve this.

Unfortunately, the Strava app is not currently supported on Apple Watches configured for Family Sharing. In order to upload activities to Strava and run other features in the app, a unique connected iPhone is required.

However, you may have some options to track your children’s activity and health reports via options provided by Apple. You can read more about this information here: https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/see-health-and-activity-reports-apd6b2bcdb19/watchos

Jane (she/her)

@Jane 

Many thanks for the quick response.  Are you aware of any LTE enabled watches that do not require a separate phone that support Strava reporting?

Hi @pharmdreb 

Yes, I believe Garmin makes some and there's likely other brands available.  More info here 

Check out this link for all the devices that are compatible with Strava.

Jane (she/her)

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings