cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding heart rate to an activity (merging 2 FIT files)

MrWhite
Mt. Kenya

Hi all,

I'm trying to add my heart rate information from my smartwatch to a Strava activity. The Strava activity was uploaded from my stationary indoor bike.

I tried the following two methods:

Method 1:
I exported both actives as FIT file and tried to combine these files with "GOTOES". The FIT files have been loaded correctly, and also the merging looked good.

When re-uploading the combined TCX file to Strava I noticed that the "laps" data is wrong. My stationary bike is listing the different watt intervals as separate laps.

Working:
fine.png

Broken:

broken.png

So I thought maybe there is something wrong how the files got combined because the first lap distance shows the total workout distance.

Method 2:
Therefore, I converted the two FIT files into CSVs (using the download "Download Raw Data" from GOTOES). I manually added the heart rate information into the Strava export, saved the CSV file, uploaded it to GOTOES again, and saved it as FIT.

I can see that the laps in the CSV are showing like this (Time|Distance):
60.039|0.443

The CSV I converted back to a TCX file with GOTOES and uploaded it.
But still, I see the same broken lap information as for the automatic merge.

Am I doing something wrong, or is Strava maybe interpreting the information wrongly?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

fulmar2
Shkhara

Hi!  Thanks for your question. I think this is an issue with your files + GOTOES rather than an issue with Strava.  I'm the developer of GOTOES, and I'm happy to help you out - but I'll need some of your sample files.  Once I have your files, I can run some tests to determine the optimal settings for your situation.  Just shooting from the hip, have you tried the "Recalculate laps" function? You should see a small blue link in the "Streams" section:

Screen Shot 2024-08-31 at 3.52.16 PM.png

If you click that blue link, the laps will be recalculated.  Sometimes this is necessary when merging files.  Another possibility is to just have GOTOES recalculate all of the distances.  If you leave the "Don't Recall Lap Distances" box unchecked, GOTOES Will also recalculate your laps - but in a different way from the one mentioned above in the streams.

Screen Shot 2024-08-31 at 3.54.13 PM.png

Finally, the Laps export for GOTOES FIT files is more robust than for TCX. Usually, just exporting as FIT from GOTOES solves issues with laps that you might have with TCX.  

Without having seen your files or your situation, that is all I can offer at this moment.  I encourage you to use the GOTOES contact form to get in touch with me directly, as I think this is more on GOTOES end than on Strava's side.

Finally, each feature on GOTOES has a little blue question mark that you can click on to learn more about how that feature works.  Here is a screenshot of the help info from the Laps Stream Checkbox:

Screen Shot 2024-08-31 at 3.59.13 PM.png

As you can see under the "Recalc Laps" section, it sounds exactly like your situation... missing distance.  Therefore, I suspect this will fix your issue.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

MrWhite
Mt. Kenya

Hi@fulmar2 ,
Thanks for finding the bug and fixing it.
And after I finally enabled the FIT function for GOTOES the upload worked like a charm and all the lap data is correct.

fulmar2
Shkhara

Hi!  Thanks for your question. I think this is an issue with your files + GOTOES rather than an issue with Strava.  I'm the developer of GOTOES, and I'm happy to help you out - but I'll need some of your sample files.  Once I have your files, I can run some tests to determine the optimal settings for your situation.  Just shooting from the hip, have you tried the "Recalculate laps" function? You should see a small blue link in the "Streams" section:

Screen Shot 2024-08-31 at 3.52.16 PM.png

If you click that blue link, the laps will be recalculated.  Sometimes this is necessary when merging files.  Another possibility is to just have GOTOES recalculate all of the distances.  If you leave the "Don't Recall Lap Distances" box unchecked, GOTOES Will also recalculate your laps - but in a different way from the one mentioned above in the streams.

Screen Shot 2024-08-31 at 3.54.13 PM.png

Finally, the Laps export for GOTOES FIT files is more robust than for TCX. Usually, just exporting as FIT from GOTOES solves issues with laps that you might have with TCX.  

Without having seen your files or your situation, that is all I can offer at this moment.  I encourage you to use the GOTOES contact form to get in touch with me directly, as I think this is more on GOTOES end than on Strava's side.

Finally, each feature on GOTOES has a little blue question mark that you can click on to learn more about how that feature works.  Here is a screenshot of the help info from the Laps Stream Checkbox:

Screen Shot 2024-08-31 at 3.59.13 PM.png

As you can see under the "Recalc Laps" section, it sounds exactly like your situation... missing distance.  Therefore, I suspect this will fix your issue.

Hope that helps!