cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Challenge Data/Results

znovitske
Shkhara

Last month I took part in the Virtual New Balance 5th Avenue Mile. Seemed simple. Run a mile [fast] and Strava would count that in the results. As I always do, I ran several time during the challenge window. I made sure to run one mile super fast. Unfortunately, Strava took a seemingly random mile from that period and uploaded that instead.

I'm just trying to figure out if this was a bug or if I did something wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

anchskier
Denali

@znovitske - I don't have the details of that specific challenge, but just curious about what time is showed for you.  In many of the challenges, it won't pick a single mile/5k/whatever out of a longer workout, but rather just shows the average pace for the entire workout as your result.  For example, I could run a 5:30 mile, but if I included my warm up and cool down in the same file that was uploaded, my average pace may be closer to 8:00/mile and that is what would show in the leaderboard for the "challenge".  Could that be what was happening with yours?  What I have found is that if I want a fast split to show up in the leaderboard, I need to record a separate activity that is limited to just the portion that qualifies for the challenge, so it isn't picking up any of the warm up or cool down portions.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

znovitske
Shkhara

Yes, I see what you mean. It took the average from my short run that day. Too bad. a 6:06 mile is a lot better than the averaged mile time of 6:56 for the whole run. Oh well. Now I know. Thanks!

anchskier
Denali

@znovitske - I don't have the details of that specific challenge, but just curious about what time is showed for you.  In many of the challenges, it won't pick a single mile/5k/whatever out of a longer workout, but rather just shows the average pace for the entire workout as your result.  For example, I could run a 5:30 mile, but if I included my warm up and cool down in the same file that was uploaded, my average pace may be closer to 8:00/mile and that is what would show in the leaderboard for the "challenge".  Could that be what was happening with yours?  What I have found is that if I want a fast split to show up in the leaderboard, I need to record a separate activity that is limited to just the portion that qualifies for the challenge, so it isn't picking up any of the warm up or cool down portions.

I think taking the average pace is counterintuitive and contradicts Strava's own way of calculating best efforts. 

Agreed. I thought it would take my best contiguous mile within my run. Strava should fix this as it really does not follow logic.