cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Upload - Rate limited

nekno
Shkhara

I'm trying to use file upload on the Upload and Sync Your Activities page.

I have 400 activities to upload from TCX files, limited to 15 files at a time by the page.

I can upload 30 files in 2 batches, and then I get an error:

You've exceeded the maximum number of uploads. Please try again later. 

Does the file upload have a rate limit?

A limit of 30 files per 24 hours (?) would be annoyingly low.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello,

Thanks for your patience.  If you have a large number of files to upload to your Strava account, and you are still hitting our rate limits,  please submit a support ticket so we can work directly with you to help.  In the ticket please mention:

• the number of files you have to upload
  • the original source of the files (Garmin, Wahoo, TomTom, etc.)

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @nekno 

Thanks for posting about this.  Yes, we limit the number of activities that can be imported to Strava per day from the Upload and Sync page.  Our team is continuing to evaluate and adjust our rate limits.  I have passed your feedback along to the appropriate team.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Hi Jane,

What is the exact number of activities a paying user can upload per day before hitting the limit (and getting the HTTP 429).

Cheers

There's a limit of 25 uploads per day for Subscribers

That's not correct.

I had a batch of around 150 gpx files that I exported from my old Withings fitness app. The rate limiter of the upload page allowed me to upload around ~50 gpx files per day, maybe a bit more or less because some were duplicates.

As a subscriber I found this

• Batch size: 25
  • Files per day: ~50

What we want to know is the exact number instead of around ~50. 

Thanks!

Hi @Soren — thanks for chiming in.

I'm afraid that doesn't seem right. We understand paid Subscribers can upload 25 activities/ upload, but we want to know the total limit per day.

Free Athletes can upload ~40 activities/day in batches of 15+15+10.

So it stands to reason, Subscribers must be able to upload at least 40 activities, if not more.

Are you saying paid Subscribers aren't allowed to upload as many activities/day as free Athletes?

What people here want to know is whether we can upload more if we subscribe.

Can someone with some specific knowledge of the workings of the software please tell us, how many activities can a paid Subscriber upload total per day (across multiple uploads)?

This really isn't that complicated.

Free AthletePaid Subscriber
Max activities/upload1525
Max activities/day40???

On 2024-01-11, as a paid subscriber I was able to upload a maximum of 100 files in one day. i.e. 25 files x 4 times. Then I started to see the message "You've exceeded the maximum number of uploads. Please try again later."

After this I tried with fewer files too, but did not work, so the limit appears to be 100 files per day for subscribers.

The daily limit of uploads is 100 for subscribers.

Hi,

I've just switched from Mapmyrun to Strava. It was difficult to get at once all tcx files from mapmyrun, but I found the way around and now I've faced the limit of uploading. If I knew there was a limit I would think twice before I subscribed. Now it'll take me 14 days to upload everything :(. 

Well if you have 700 .gpx files then yes 🙂

Good luck!

[deleted]