cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Upload - Rate limited

nekno
Shkhara

I'm trying to use file upload on the Upload and Sync Your Activities page.

I have 400 activities to upload from TCX files, limited to 15 files at a time by the page.

I can upload 30 files in 2 batches, and then I get an error:

You've exceeded the maximum number of uploads. Please try again later. 

Does the file upload have a rate limit?

A limit of 30 files per 24 hours (?) would be annoyingly low.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello,

Thanks for your patience.  If you have a large number of files to upload to your Strava account, and you are still hitting our rate limits,  please submit a support ticket so we can work directly with you to help.  In the ticket please mention:

• the number of files you have to upload
  • the original source of the files (Garmin, Wahoo, TomTom, etc.)

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38

The 15 at a time, while a minor inconvenience, I assumed is simply a limit in the way your software is written, and not necessarily a big deal.  But why is it limited to 30 per day?  What's the problem with user uploading a lot at once?  I honestly don't understand that limit and would like to see it raised.

Unfortunately, I have not had any support with fitbit automatically synching to Strava for the last 7 months or so.  So the only way I can get my activities loaded is to download a file from fitbit, and upload to Strava.  It's a hassle, so I only wish to do that once I have many to do at once.

Ha!  I just noticed another annoyance with this.  I hoped to load 30 more items today, but accidentally grabbed the same set of 15 .tcx files twice.  Despite Strava being smart enough to recognize these are all duplicates, and not actually uploading anything, be aware that they still count towards this 30 per day limit!

I also have the same problem, can you set the limit to a much bigger number? Thanks!

If you are programming inclined, you can upload and update with the correct gear more than 100 a day via the api services. There still is a 15 minute and day limit based on your subscription status. I was able to create a janky python script using someone's github script and the not well maintained python stravalib 
I have 1000s of rides to upload from mapmyride. Its still slow but I don't have to do the clicking.

Can you share your script please or at least link to the script you started from at github?
Thanks.

This is what I started with: https://github.com/barrald/strava-uploader/tree/master
It's old. 
It utilizes stavalib https://github.com/stravalib/stravalib, which I have found pretty hard to use. I found authenticating correctly the hardest for some reason.

If I were to do it over again, I probably would just script something that uses plain POST/GET/PUT calls. I have found that between uploading and updating the activity to the correct bike can take somewhere around 7 api calls using stravalib. Sometimes larger activities would take more which eats away at your 200 per 15min and 2k per day rate limits. I have no idea what the inefficiencies are and I don't have the energy to figure it out. 

Thanks, @Jane.

Are the limits removed for paid subs? I can understand needing to pay for value/expenses, but if the same limit exists that would be a disincentive to become a paying subscriber.

Hello, I've the same question, I am starting with strava and have almost 500 activities to import. This rate limit is quite anoying but understandable. Is the limitation applied to premium accounts ?

I'm on a paid account and I seem to be limited to 25 at a time and 100 in a day