cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Longer segments not showing Leaderboards

karolw
Mt. Kenya

Here is activity and exact segment https://www.strava.com/activities/12002004056/segments/3252624209038731736 with few segments in this ride that are not showing leaderboard in segment.

It is written:

This effort doesn’t appear on leaderboards because the segment is within an area you have hidden using your Map Visibility controls.

But the segment is quite far from this area. On the same part of route few segments (shorter ones) have leaderboard.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @karolw 

Thanks for posting about this.

When you get this message on a segment effort on an activity: "This effort doesn’t appear on leaderboards because the segment is within an area you have hidden using your Map Visibility controls."  the first thing to do is to double check the map visibility settings of your activity. That message appears when  the referenced segment starts or ends within a hidden portion of your activity.

If you would like to make your segment effort public so that it is eligible for public leaderboards and achievements, you will want to ensure that the segment does not start or end within a hidden portion of the activity. This action is performed by using the 'Edit Map Visibility' option after navigating to the activity on your account. Once you have ensure this change is successfully saved, your segment effort should be immediately displayed on the leaderboards.

Map Visibility & Default Privacy Settings:

It should be noted that the Map Visibility settings on your Strava account are considered your default Map Visibility settings. These default settings are applied to each new activity uploaded to your account. Excluding editing a hidden address, changing the Map Visibility settings on your account will only affect new activities you upload and will not affect the Map Visibility settings on any previously uploaded activities.

If you wish to change your account's default preference, learn more here.

If you wish to update an individual activity, learn more here.

To read about Map Visibility, please refer to this article. And for more information on all of our privacy controls, please visit our privacy center and take the time to ensure your selections in Strava represent your intended experience.

If you continue to have an issue after checking and changing that setting, please submit a support ticket and Strava Support will get in touch with you to troubleshoot directly on your account.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @karolw 

Thanks for posting about this.

When you get this message on a segment effort on an activity: "This effort doesn’t appear on leaderboards because the segment is within an area you have hidden using your Map Visibility controls."  the first thing to do is to double check the map visibility settings of your activity. That message appears when  the referenced segment starts or ends within a hidden portion of your activity.

If you would like to make your segment effort public so that it is eligible for public leaderboards and achievements, you will want to ensure that the segment does not start or end within a hidden portion of the activity. This action is performed by using the 'Edit Map Visibility' option after navigating to the activity on your account. Once you have ensure this change is successfully saved, your segment effort should be immediately displayed on the leaderboards.

Map Visibility & Default Privacy Settings:

It should be noted that the Map Visibility settings on your Strava account are considered your default Map Visibility settings. These default settings are applied to each new activity uploaded to your account. Excluding editing a hidden address, changing the Map Visibility settings on your account will only affect new activities you upload and will not affect the Map Visibility settings on any previously uploaded activities.

If you wish to change your account's default preference, learn more here.

If you wish to update an individual activity, learn more here.

To read about Map Visibility, please refer to this article. And for more information on all of our privacy controls, please visit our privacy center and take the time to ensure your selections in Strava represent your intended experience.

If you continue to have an issue after checking and changing that setting, please submit a support ticket and Strava Support will get in touch with you to troubleshoot directly on your account.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

anchskier
Denali

Can you add a link to the specific segment you are thinking of that isn't showing up for this activity?  If any part of the segment falls inside your privacy zone, it will not show up.

When I zoom in on the maps of the segment and the activity, it appears that the segment ends a short distance AFTER the end of the activity.  If you have a privacy zone set for a certain area around the END of your activity as well as the start, then this may be the problem.  Either that or you just finished your activity before actually completing the entire segment.  

I see so how can I put it there? I turn off this policy.

I am not 100% certain, but I would first make sure that you have turned off or removed the privacy zone setting from your profile so that you no longer have a privacy zone set for a certain distance from the start and end of your activity.  I would then go back to the activity and click on the three dots on the left (on a web browser) and select "Refresh Activity Achievements".  Hopefully that will do it.  

For example this https://www.strava.com/activities/12002004056/segments/3252624209038731736 it is 30 km from privacy zone. 🙂

Also, that activity you provided a link to is posted to Strava as a "workout" instead of a "ride".  

The segment id from you link can't be opened. I guess it's a private segment you have created, for those only your personal leaderboard exists.