cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

The Hub is now in read-only mode as we make improvements to the Hub experience. More information is available here.

Open swim short distance GPS inaccurate

hugorenners
Shkhara

Is there anyway to improve the accuracy of GPS from Garmin for open short distance sea water swims?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NickRunBikeMN
Pico de Orizaba

Very limited by the GPS coverage while under water.  I have found if I try to get sections one arm swimming or better yet of swimming on my back (with my gps arm 'resting' for at least a couple seconds to reconnect/sync to GPS above water).  Easy enough to do it when I am snorkeling.
Otherwise some people attach the GPS to a float/safety-bouy  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jan_Mantau
Superuser
Superuser

When I turn direction I usually hold my garmin swim above water for 5 to 10 seconds. Mostly that is enough to regain gps reception. Nicks method of using a swimming style where the garmin is mostly above water works too.

NickRunBikeMN
Pico de Orizaba

Very limited by the GPS coverage while under water.  I have found if I try to get sections one arm swimming or better yet of swimming on my back (with my gps arm 'resting' for at least a couple seconds to reconnect/sync to GPS above water).  Easy enough to do it when I am snorkeling.
Otherwise some people attach the GPS to a float/safety-bouy