cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove "walks" from running challenges and expand challenges for walks

runprime
Shkhara

Walks have been added to running challenges as of January 2024 and as a person who does both run and walk acitvities as separate sports, this has ruined the experience of challenges in the app for me, and in general.

My walks are no counting towards running challenges which rightly used to be separate. They are separate sports.

I found an idea here from last year where somebody requested the opposite and now it has been implemented. From their point of view, they were lesser abled and some walks "felt" like runs to them, which i acknowledge - however, the solution there is ti simply record a running workout on your device, not a walk.

To improve the experience for walkers then more 5k, 10k and monthly mileage challenges can be set up to keep it interesting. 

Last year I really enjoyed tracking my walking challenge and sepaately doing the running challenges. 

Now there are fewer challenges in total which seems like the app is getting worse, not better.

Also importantly need to point out that runs are not included in the walking challenges.... I guess that's the real punchline to this joke.

109 REPLIES 109

Stomping_Jessie
Mt. Kenya

100% Agree! 

A run challenge is a run challenge! I saw that I had almost achieved the 100K challenge for the first time! Super excited I looked at my totals wondering how and found that it counts my walks. What a joke! When I finally get my run 100K in a month badge It's going to be a lie. This is something I've been working towards for years and when I am actually close to really being strong enough to run 100k the challenge is as good as gone. 

I started my running journey walking 100 miles for charity over a month. Very achievable! Running 100K takes alot of hard effort and training. Total rubbish.

shartattacc
Shkhara

anyone else notice they removed the comment feature from the challenges this month?

Yeah I saw that and I thought that it's some kind of defect for me or something but it looks that Strava getting better and better... 😄 Such a progressive platform 😄

Agoodheart
Shkhara

April challenges are up. Still no change, and still no reasonable response from Strava. Time for another 1 star review on the App Store.

Very good idea, it was funny that this coincided with Strava asking for feedback. Another one Star for their collection

PauliusG
Shkhara

Let's try to flood them directly: support @ strava . zendesk . com
(remove spaces, Strava do not allow to use this email :D)

Great idea PauliusG! Here's what I emailed:

Hi Strava Team

The Community Hub has been continuously voicing their discontent (including myself) at the inclusion of walking activities towards running challenges, yet you don’t seem to be listening. 

It mightn’t seem like such a big deal to the powers that be at Strava, but it has bothered me so much that I have cancelled my premium membership and so have many other people.

Why would anyone think that walking should count towards running?? Yet strangely you don't count running activities towards the walking badges!!

The whole thing is so ridiculous I’ve been changing my ‘walking’ activities to ‘golf’ so they don’t count towards the running challenges (I don’t even play golf!) 

Please take a look at the Community Hub and see the hundreds of comments and kudos and membership cancellations because of this.

Kindly listen to what is being said in the Community Hub and  reconsider what you have done with these challenges.

I've sent the same email too, this said I had to change the cancel subscription as I was automatically renewed as I didn't cancel it on time. Might still do the cancellation!

I finally received a personal reply rather than just a generic bot response.
Unfortunately it doesn't sound like they are going to change it back anytime soon 😞
I've responded via the response Bad, I'm unsatisfied with comments similar to what I wrote above.

Robin

(Help Center)

Mar 12, 2024, 6:16 AM MDT

Hello Susie,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and we're sad that we're losing you as a Subscription member on Strava.  Our Product Team is monitoring the comments in the Community Hub. 

We don't have an update to share at this time, however please know that your feedback has been reviewed and we will provide updates if any become available.

We're committed to delivering the best athlete experience, and that often means weighing various ideas against each other and fitting them into our overall roadmap.
Your input is valuable and all ideas go through evaluation to ensure they align with both broader goals and our athletes' needs. We'll be sure to keep you updated as soon as there are any notable developments.

Thank you for being a part of the Community and for helping us make our product better together!

Best,
Robin
Strava Support Team