cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

The Hub is now in read-only mode as we make improvements to the Hub experience. More information is available here.

Remove "walks" from running challenges and expand challenges for walks

runprime
Shkhara

Walks have been added to running challenges as of January 2024 and as a person who does both run and walk acitvities as separate sports, this has ruined the experience of challenges in the app for me, and in general.

My walks are no counting towards running challenges which rightly used to be separate. They are separate sports.

I found an idea here from last year where somebody requested the opposite and now it has been implemented. From their point of view, they were lesser abled and some walks "felt" like runs to them, which i acknowledge - however, the solution there is ti simply record a running workout on your device, not a walk.

To improve the experience for walkers then more 5k, 10k and monthly mileage challenges can be set up to keep it interesting. 

Last year I really enjoyed tracking my walking challenge and sepaately doing the running challenges. 

Now there are fewer challenges in total which seems like the app is getting worse, not better.

Also importantly need to point out that runs are not included in the walking challenges.... I guess that's the real punchline to this joke.

130 REPLIES 130

anchskier
Denali

@runprime - We are not able to leave them on this idea yet because the admins have not updated the posts status to allow kudos.  @Jane @Scout @Bryant 

runprime
Shkhara

Remeber guys if you support this request to remove walks from running challenges, leave a kudos on the idea post @San @MattBrewis @jobrob @yantonov @Kyorke1987 @anchskier @AnnieH @ClaireLambert16 @sanchit3008 Thanks!

San
Mt. Kenya

If some walkers insist their walk 'felt like a run' why can't they simply log their walk as a run? Then it wouldn't impact on Strava users who do both activities and like to keep them separate.  The 100k run challenge seems pretty pointless to me now.

MattBrewis
Shkhara

Agree with all the comments here - this doesn’t make sense for anybody who walks and runs (especially when also using Garmin). The Trophy changes this January are a significant reduction and v disappointing 

jobrob
Mt. Kenya

Yes, this is really annoying and has made what was a reasonable challenge (running 100K a month) into a piece of cake - i do both walks and runs and want to keep them separate. 

I have always enjoyed the challenges as one of the most motivational features of Strava, but if they are going to change the goal posts like this it totally removes the consistency.

Typical, I finally subscribe this Jan and then find they've done this! PLEASE RECONSIDER!

yantonov
Shkhara

+100500 walk and run should be counted separately for the monthly distance-based activity.

Also, get back run challenges for 200K, and 300K.
Because now you've broken the typical use case completely.

Kyorke1987
Mt. Kenya

I have noticed this as well. I'd prefer the walks to be separate. I also don't understand why there is only one walking challenge and it's been reduced from 50k a month to 30k a month. I don't want my walks to count towards my running digital trophies, it doesn't feel right to me! Please review strava!!

anchskier
Denali

Additionally, Strava has some automatic flagging in place for running activities based on the speed.  Although this is far from perfect, it does filter out some of the blatantly bad files that get uploaded, such as people driving down the highway.  These filters are not applied to walks (at least as far as I can tell), so now the running challenges are flooded with people uploading "walks" that are clearly driving.  I used to look at the challenges and would see a few bad uploads, easy enough to clean up with a few flags.  Now, the top end of the leaderboard is flooded with "walks".

AnnieH
Mt. Kenya

Completely agree with this! Can we at least have the option to not count walks toward running challenges?

ClaireLambert16
Mt. Kenya

Completely agree - my friends and I set ourselves the challenge over the last few years to run 100km per month for the year - now with walks added we have hit the monthly goal in a week! 

I am so so frustrated that walks are now added to runs - it's going to force me NOT to track any walks in order to be able to keep them separate. *Please* change it back! 

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings