cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove "walks" from running challenges and expand challenges for walks

runprime
Shkhara

Walks have been added to running challenges as of January 2024 and as a person who does both run and walk acitvities as separate sports, this has ruined the experience of challenges in the app for me, and in general.

My walks are no counting towards running challenges which rightly used to be separate. They are separate sports.

I found an idea here from last year where somebody requested the opposite and now it has been implemented. From their point of view, they were lesser abled and some walks "felt" like runs to them, which i acknowledge - however, the solution there is ti simply record a running workout on your device, not a walk.

To improve the experience for walkers then more 5k, 10k and monthly mileage challenges can be set up to keep it interesting. 

Last year I really enjoyed tracking my walking challenge and sepaately doing the running challenges. 

Now there are fewer challenges in total which seems like the app is getting worse, not better.

Also importantly need to point out that runs are not included in the walking challenges.... I guess that's the real punchline to this joke.

116 REPLIES 116

srybarczyk
Mt. Kenya

I just posted the same before I figured out how this forum works. Completely agree.  It makes zero sense. I walk and I run. They’re two different activities and I have very different goals for each. Most people have shoes and clothes for running and different gear for walking. Not the same activity! And those challenges motivate me. Not happy. I always thought they should have larger distance walking challenges (i walk a lot), but to combine walking and running makes absolutely no sense, and I’m purely a recreational runner! 

BruceG
Shkhara

Couldn't agree more, totally ruined the challenges, and have removed the 200k and 300k badges from running, massive step backwards Strava

fryeharp
Shkhara

Can running count for the swimming challenges??  Seems appropriate since walking is now running?

jillbelll
Mt. Kenya

10000000% could not have said this better myself. I haven’t been on Strava that long but I am already disappointed with the challenges portion of the app between the bogus winners who walked “34000km” in a month and the fact that walking counts towards running challenges? For the price per year I would expect a greater attention to detail.

fryeharp
Shkhara

Running is not walking, and vice versa.  Please separate the challenges again.  Walking should not count as running in running challenges!!  Why even have a walking challenge if walking counts for running?  Please listen to the followers on this app!

Agoodheart
Pico de Orizaba

The running distance challenge was very motivating for me to run more. However, now walking counts as a running activity, but treadmill running longer does. The running challenges should be for RUNNING of any type: road, trail, treadmill. And the walking challenges should be for walking. If there’s a request to make challenges that combine running and walking then that actually also sounds fun, but please restore the running distance challenges back to running. As far as I can tell, this is an app with a large number of runners, so I suspect I’m not alone in this. I’ve used Strava for a long time, but I’m seriously considering looking for a different app that will actually provide me running challenges if Strava won’t do so anymore. Thanks. 

rakeshbhat
Pico de Orizaba

totally agree!!!

anchskier
Denali

@Scout @Jane - are you people listening?  How many more new posts asking to separate walk and run challenges are you going to have to merge with this one before you do something about it?  You took an idea that had a whopping 6 kudos and ran with it, yet you seem to ignore this side of the discussion that has far more support?  If you want us, the people who pay your paycheck, to feel like this community hub actually does something, you need to show us.  As it stands, it sure looks like this forum is just a suggestion box you never bother to open.  

Lol’ing at the phrase “ran with it.” Doubt anyone working for Strava actually runs based on their recent decisions…

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings