cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

The Hub is now in read-only mode as we make improvements to the Hub experience. More information is available here.

What determines the ordering of activity types on my in-app Profile tab?

dantsai
Pico de Orizaba

When I go to the "You" tab on the mobile app (I'm on iOS), for some reason "Walk" shows up first, followed by All Run, Run, and Bike. "Run" is set as my primary sport, so I can't think of any reason why Walk would be shown first.

I've attached a screenshot below. It seems unintuitive to me, and there's no way to change the ordering.

IMG_0539.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the info, Dan. I cross-referenced this with our engineers and the ordering appears to be working as intended. The changes that were rolled out made it so that the order is determined by the number of activities per sport type, the more frequent and recent, the more prominent it will be in the chart. However, if you've carried out multiple activities that fall under one of the Sport Type groups (All Ride/Run-E-Sport) -- e.g. Ride and Mountain Bike Ride, then the "All Ride" category would appear before "Ride" or 'Mountain Bike Ride". Apologies for any confusion, I hope it's clear now.

If you have any feedback in regards to the way it's displayed or ordered, we're eager to hear about it and I'll be happy to pass it along.

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38

+1 on time spent over frequency!

Hey Soren, I just did a search on this same topic and found this thread from last year. Any chance there's a fix for it these days?

I have the same issue: I do far more running in terms of miles and time, Running is my primary sport, and that’s what I’d like to see when I open my Strava stats. But I take my elderly dog on a lot of short walks throughout the day and I like to keep track of his activity, too, so Walking shows up first when I open my profile in  the “You” section, under both “Progress” and “Profile.” Is the only solution really just to record less walks? 

I’d love to see an option to choose which sport shows up first / or set it differently by default. Or even just not to count activities we hide from the public toward the “what shows first” count? I make a lot of my walks private because I don’t need them cluttering up everyone’s feed.

Love to show up as a runner and not a 45 min per quarter miler while I stand still and let my dog sniff. (ha) Any options aside from just recording less walks? Thanks so much! I appreciate it.

Hi @Kessiah -- I understand the desire to want to have control over which Sport Types appear first in your profile stats. There's no fix for this because it's currently working as designed. The ordering is determined by the number of activities carried out the most per Sport Type. We don't want anyone to record fewer dog walks or have to refrain from recording all of the ways they stay active, so this is a fair point to raise. Someone shared the following idea in the ideas board, and you can most certainly vote for it and leave a comment if you desire:

Customize order/set default Sport Types on mobile Profile & Progress tabs

This is 100% not true. I do running nearly every single day and Yoga MAYBE every other day and at most 6 times per week and maybe an hour of Yoga per week. Whereas I have 10+ hours of running each week. But Yoga is listed as my first activity on my profile. Very annoying. The way you're describing the algorithm is supposed to work is not at all how it is functioning. 

hey @mbaldwin33 I just took a look at your account. Are you still seeing yoga appear before run? The ordering isn't based on the time spent per sport, but the total number of activities per sport type during the past 12 weeks.

Running has moved first now. Thanks for the info. It must be that I took 3 weeks off in June and did a lot of Yoga every day then or something so it took awhile to build up 12 weeks of running activities that were more than the yoga activities. I wasn't understanding that it was looking at such a deep history but was thinking it was based on the most recent week or something. 

I took a look at your account and tallied up the number of runs vs. number of yoga activities you've done in the past 12 weeks and your runs are currently outnumbering the yoga sessions. This is on a rolling 12 week basis, so thanks for confirming that it's displaying as expected. Happy running!

Thanks. As of last night, it is putting Walking as the number one thing...but I don't think there is any way that I have done more walking activities than running in the last 12 weeks. In fact, I went in and counted the activities manually...so in that count I have 72 running in the last 12 weeks and 40 walking. So this makes me think maybe the algorithm isn't working properly. No big deal, but I like to have the running listed as first for my OCD brain. 

Run and trail run are grouped in the "All Run" stats, but are also counted individually, and when compared to the number of walks in the past 12 weeks, it appears that the number of walks is greater than the number of the separate run type activities.
I understand that the underlying concern is to have control over the ordering of your preferred Sport Types on your profile stats. We have the following idea that you can vote for if you desire and I'll be happy to resurface this with our product team.

Customize order/set default Sport Types on mobile Profile & Progress tabs

Please resurface this with the product team. There is clearly a lot of frustration around this. Thanks Soren!