cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I see distance ran on Galaxy watch 5 pro app?

DTaylor4
Shkhara

I've just started trying out Strava on my galaxy watch 5 pro, and this seems like such a no-brainer but I can't find it anywhere. How do I see my distance on the app while I'm running? On my watch I can see Heart Rate, Time, and Pace/Mile, but that's it? I want to look at my watch while running and see how far I've gone, without having to wait until I've finished the run and it's synced to my phone. All of the distance info is there on my phone post-run, but how do I see it during the run?

In the Samsung Health watch app it's so simple: I see Duration, Distance, Pace and Heart Rate. I can even get an audio or vibration cue at each mile. Why would anyone use Strava for running if you can't see the distance while running? 

Thanks in advance - hopefully I'm missing a simple setting. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @DTaylor4 

Thanks again for your reply and for providing screenshots.  I was just talking with a co-worker and they mentioned that there is a limitation with the Strava App on the Galaxy 5 Watch.  If your font size is too large, the distance at the bottom of the screen will not be displayed.

Can you try reducing the font size on your watch and see if that resolves the issue?  If it doesn't please go ahead and  submit a support ticket and we’ll be happy to investigate further.

Let me know if the font adjustment works for you.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @DTaylor4 

Thanks again for your reply and for providing screenshots.  I was just talking with a co-worker and they mentioned that there is a limitation with the Strava App on the Galaxy 5 Watch.  If your font size is too large, the distance at the bottom of the screen will not be displayed.

Can you try reducing the font size on your watch and see if that resolves the issue?  If it doesn't please go ahead and  submit a support ticket and we’ll be happy to investigate further.

Let me know if the font adjustment works for you.

Jane (she/her)

Thank you, that sounds like it could be the issue. I do have my font size up pretty big. I'll give that a try - thank you! 

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @DTaylor4 

Thanks for posting about this.  Can you confirm you're recording using the Strava App for Wear OS 3 on your Samsung Galaxy 5 watch?  If so, you should see the distance appearing at the bottom of the screen if you're recording in "run" mode.  Check out the photo below; in this example .37 miles have been completed so far.

SamsungGalaxy5.jpeg

Please let us know if that helps!

Jane (she/her)

Thank you. Do you mean recording the run as in initiating the whole process via the phone app, then record and start? The answer to that is No, I've just opened the watch app and scrolled to Run, wait for GPS to acquire, then Start. I will give the phone app and record a try, if that's how I need to do it. 

Hi @DTaylor4 

Thanks for your reply.  Sorry if I was confusing.  No, I wasn't suggesting you record using the Strava App on your phone.  I was trying to confirm that you were opening the Strava App on your Galaxy watch and using that?

On the Galaxy watch, it's possible to record a run using the Samsung Workout App.  This is different than using the Strava App on the watch.  The picture of the watch I provided in my first response was a recording in progress using the Strava Watch App which does show your distance at the bottom.  Check out this link for more information on setting up the Strava App on your watch.

Jane (she/her)

OK, to clarify I've been using the Strava app on my watch to start the run. When I do that I do not get as shown in your Pic. Please see my attached Pic. As I mentioned, it shows heart rate, time and pace per mile. No distance. 

I only mentioned the Samsung Health app as a point of reference for how I've always recorded my runs, but I thought I'd try Strava. I just can't figure out why it won't show my distance during the run. 

20230224_164322.jpg

Today I uninstalled/reinstalled the Strava watch app and went for a little run. Selected Run on Strava watch app, waited for GPS acquiring, then clicked Start ("Star"). First pic below shows my screen while running, no distance shown. Second Pic is post-run summary showing the Strava watch app obviously knows the distance, it just isn't showing it during the run.

Is there a setting or something else that can correct this? 

20230225_115125.jpg

20230225_120827.jpg

If I start the run on the phone app and record, it does not start the run on my watch app. Could you refer me to exact steps to take on which device to use the watch app to see the distance ran like in the Pic you attached? That watch screen is exactly what I'm looking for. And yes I'm using Galaxy watch 5 pro, just downloaded last week so I assume the most current version.