cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

The Hub is now in read-only mode as we make improvements to the Hub experience. More information is available here.

e-Bike watts

Vinnyard
Mt. Kenya

I was wondering if anyone knows how Strava calculates 'watts' for an e-bike ride?

Technically, the e-bike knows how much assist it is adding, but I do not know if it exports that data, or if Strava can access the data.

My typical analog bike ride is about 150watts average, and the same trail (albeit 30% shorter time) is about 200 watts when on the e-bike. So, yes, I can assume I am getting a 50 watt booster from the e-bike over the ride. Was just wondering how Strava handles this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jan_Mantau
Superuser
Superuser

Strava estimates the Watts you and the motor combined produce by incorporating your weight, your bike weight, the bike type, gradients and speed.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jan_Mantau
Superuser
Superuser

Strava estimates the Watts you and the motor combined produce by incorporating your weight, your bike weight, the bike type, gradients and speed.

Sort of what I assumed. So in essence, it estimates the system wattage, whether pure analog or an e-bike, the same. So Strava really doesn't care that you're on an e-bike, or should say it doesn't take the e-bike into consideration in calculating watts.

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings