cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended Deadline for Strava Developer Program

Elliott
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

At Strava, we’re constantly inspired by the passion and innovation within our developer community. Since we launched our new developer program, we’ve witnessed an overwhelming amount of interest and enthusiasm. It’s evident that many of you are keen to collaborate and continue contributing to the vibrant Strava ecosystem.

Your invaluable feedback has allowed us to refine and improve the application process. As we iterate to ensure a streamlined submission journey, we recognize that additional time to submit for review would be appreciated by our community.

In light of this, we’re excited to announce that we are extending the deadline for our Developer Program. This will provide everyone ample opportunity to be part of this exciting journey and ensure that all apps benefit.

The new deadline will be March 4th, 2024.

Thank you for your continued interest and feedback. Together, we look forward to building a richer and more dynamic Strava experience for our shared community.

Sincerely,
Strava API Team

18 REPLIES 18

What is this nonsense? You originally stated:

If you're a developer who intends to use your app solely for yourself, and just your data, you'll be operating in Single Player Mode. For those newly created apps who intend to expand to our athlete community, moving forward you will be required to fill out our form for review. Until your app has been reviewed, you won't be able to authenticate any additional athletes to your app. 

This implies that apps written and used by the account holder do not need to do anything to be "blessed" until they decide to expand usage beyond their own account.

Additionally, none of this makes any sense. Why would we need to fill out some form for you to investigate how our apps are being used? Surely you can see how often keys are being used, what request patterns they are creating, and what users have authorized those keys to access their data.

Elliott
Community Manager

Hey @jsumners thanks for the feedback. 

We're asking that all developers who intend to continue using the app submit their info. It's not an investigation into how apps are being used, we're reviewing to ensure that apps are receiving the appropriate access and support. While some apps may appear as "single player mode" from our point of view, there's no way to know what a developers intention is for growth of their app. 

If you have any additional questions you can contact us directly for support at developers@strava.com 😀

That still doesn't make any sense. Wouldn't a developer launching, or has launched, an app that will have significant usage reach out to you to discuss support level? Why would those of us writing personal, or even exploration, apps have to jump through extra hoops? It seems to me that all this does is _increase_ the burden on both parties and reduce resources to support those larger apps requesting support.

Perfect, thanks Elliot. Might I suggest that with the next "Extended Deadline for Strava Developer Program" blast, you explicitly say in the subject line that apps will stop working if you do not take action.

aaronroh
Mt. Kenya

I didnt understand what is message of this notice evidently.

So do I have to understand like I can not create new strava developer appication after March 4th, 2024?

Elliott
Community Manager

Hi there, you can review our original announcement for details on the program. 

Oh, I am well noted of this information. thank you!

vblq
Mt. Kenya

Hi Elliott,

I didn't quite understand the wording of the email notice I received about this.
Will my app be revoked if I take no action?

Best regards,
Viktor

Elliott
Community Manager

Hey there Viktor, 

The only change to the program is the date by which you will be required to submit your application for review. As was the case previously, all developers making use of our API will be required to submit by that date.

The new date is March 4th, 2024 as opposed to October in order to give our community more time to submit 🙂 

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings