cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect Elevation Gains Apple Watch

RonHuizenga
Shkhara

Hi All,

I use Strava on my Apple Watch Series 6.  For the past few weeks (since last OS update), elevation gains (outdoor ride) have been way off, reporting at least double what they should be.  Is anyone else experiencing the same?  I removed and reinstalled Strava on my watch and phone, but that hasn't made any difference.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator
Moderator

Hi All,

Sorry about the confusion.  There's no new release, the fix was applied to the current release.  So if your watch is up to date, the problem should be resolved.  

Give it a try and let us know the results.


Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

RoWi
Mt. Kenya

IMG_0648.jpeg

IMG_0651.jpeg

Broken (again?) with watchOS 9.6 and Strava 319.0.0

However the Strava button „fix elevation“ worked .. would be nice if it just works again 

levymetal
Mt. Kenya

Just wondering if there’s an update on this? I use the Workout app on my Apple Watch to track my activities then I sync them with Strava later. The Workout app shows the correct elevation during the activity, and the Fitness app shows the correct elevation after the workout. However, the elevation in Strava can be off by almost double. Correcting the elevation does work, but it would be nice to avoid having to do this. 

I tried to correct the elevation to reflect the correct numbers, but it did not work . Any help would be great.

Jane
Moderator Moderator
Moderator

Hi All,

Sorry about the confusion.  There's no new release, the fix was applied to the current release.  So if your watch is up to date, the problem should be resolved.  

Give it a try and let us know the results.


Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Hi Jane, 

The problem still exists. There has been no improvement sincce I logged this issue. For example, today I went for a 26km ride. I recorded it with my Garmin 830 and my Apple Ultra 2 watch. The ride metrics between both devices were slightly different, but not concerning - except for the ascent data for the Apple Ultra 2, The Garmin 830 recorded a 419m ascent while the Apple Ultra recorded a 410m ascent. When the rides from these devices were imported to Strava the ascent figures for both devices are as follows. Garmin 830 has a 419m ascent (no change), while the Apple Ultra 2 shows a 446m ascent (increase of 36m or 8.8%). This clearly shows that Strava is modifying the Apple Ultra data upon import, but not the Garmin import data. Modifying the data is clearly unnecessary and throws the accuracy of Apple devices out by a significant margin. It means that you cannot trust the ascent data from Apple devices in Strava, but you can trust this data on the Apple devices. Note: this issue is not limited to the Apple Watch Ultra 2. I have found the same issue when I have recorded activities with my iPhone. Given Apple devices are how I typically record my activities I am considering not renewing my Strava membership unless this issue is resolved ASAP. 

IMG_4287.pngIMG_4290.pngIMG_4288.jpegIMG_4289.png

Just letting you know that this issue has not been fixed. Surely the fix is simply to not modify the imported data from Apple Watches?

Hi Jane, on 22 Dec 2023 I recorded a ride with Apple Watch Ultra 2 and Garmin Edge 830.

Apple Watch workout recorded 569m altitude gain. Garmin Edge 830 recorded 566m altitude gain.

Both recordings were imported into Strava.

In Strava App the Apple Watch workout showed 694m altitude gain.

In Strava App the Garmin Edge 830 showed 566m altitude gain.

The Apple Watch import shows Strava (incorrectly) increased the altitude gain by 125m.

Also, I am unable to adjust the elevation to fix any incorrect altitude readings for the workouts imported from my Apple Watch, but I am able to adjust the elevation of the correct altitude gain readings from workouts imported from the Garmin Edge.

Yes it seems to work. Data is displayed again as before.

Thanks very much!

So in other words it's a fix on the back end when posting rather than a fix that is downloaded to the code on the watch (and/or the phone the watch is paired to).  A little more detail in the explanation goes a long way.