cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Segment length ?

Ian
Elbrus

I noticed that someone recently asked that the minimum length of mountain bike Segments be decreased and the post was quickly archived by an admin on the basis that reverting Strava changes could not be discussed.

I have some sympathy for the poster - I was also somewhat frustrated by the recent increase in minimum length of bike Segments from 300m to 500m.  In my area there has been some good competition over Segments about 400 to 450m in length but such Segments can no longer be created or edited (the change happened as I was working on a new Segment of about 450m - it now finishes closer to a T junction than I would like but editing is no longer possible).

I don't remember seeing any requests from Strava users for such a change in the previous Strava Support forums so I wonder if someone at Strava could give some background to their reasons for making the change and their methodologies for determining minimum Segment lengths for each Activity type ?  Clearly measurement accuracy is a factor on shorter Segments, but even on a 300m bike Segment the accuracy should be within a couple of % which seems OK.

42 REPLIES 42

Norden
Shkhara

What is the minimum length of a run segment? Can subscribers create segments shorter than regular users?

m986
Shkhara

Is there a workaround for this? For example, if I have a 400m trail that I want to create a segment for, if I ride 300m, turn around and ride 100m back up the trail, then turn around and finish the trail, in theory I've covered 600m and the start and end points are where I want them to be.

If I then just ride the 400m trail, will Strava record the time OK without me doing the reverse bit? Obviously the average time will be wrong, but apart from that would this work?

Did you try it?Does it work?

4ndrew
Mt. Kenya

I guess that it’s mostly driven by cost-saving initiative but come on! I understand that limit for road, but for MTB — no! Please, allow to create short segments for paid customers only or omg, charge for short segments)) but it should not be just impossible

StilPhone
Mt. Kenya

Intersting - this is over a year old and still no comment from Strava themselves - do they not realise that we are their PAYING customers. I'm going to share this to get as much visibility and traction as we can.

I will not be renewing my subscription. Member since 2013. The allowance of any moron to mark "hazardous" any segment and not time downhill segments are two other major issues. Their opinions should be kept to themselves.

Arrogant executive management and VCs do not listen to the serious riders, they solely want to extract profit and then sell off to another set of VCs. Which means butchering a product / service to appeal to the lowest common denominator and gain market denomination.

MakeStravaGreat
Pico de Orizaba

Why are we now paying for Strava yet getting features taken away? This is ridiculous. Minimum length should be 100m at the least. My local mtb trail network consists of about 20 trails all under 500m in length. Its really disappointing that i cant make segments on them. Surly u can bring this feature back Strava. This is a huge reason why me and my friends use strava. So we can vs each other.. now we cant even do tha

MakeStravaGreat
Pico de Orizaba

Why are we now paying for Strava yet getting features taken away? This is ridiculous. Minimum length should be 100m at the least. My local mtb trail network consists of about 20 trails all under 500m in length. Its really disappointing that i cant make segments on them. Surly u can bring this feature back Strava. This is a huge reason why me and my friends use strava. So we can vs each other.. now we cant even do that. 

tmac
Mt. Kenya

Add me to the list of frustrated users.  I was wondering why a short but steep road segment (400m and 90-160 seconds to complete for most riders) wasn't listed and wanted to see how I was progressing but was foiled by the length rule.  I fear Strava is slipping back to the dark days from a few years ago where they did everything they could to alienate their most loyal paying customers.