cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove "walks" from running challenges and expand challenges for walks

runprime
Shkhara

Walks have been added to running challenges as of January 2024 and as a person who does both run and walk acitvities as separate sports, this has ruined the experience of challenges in the app for me, and in general.

My walks are no counting towards running challenges which rightly used to be separate. They are separate sports.

I found an idea here from last year where somebody requested the opposite and now it has been implemented. From their point of view, they were lesser abled and some walks "felt" like runs to them, which i acknowledge - however, the solution there is ti simply record a running workout on your device, not a walk.

To improve the experience for walkers then more 5k, 10k and monthly mileage challenges can be set up to keep it interesting. 

Last year I really enjoyed tracking my walking challenge and sepaately doing the running challenges. 

Now there are fewer challenges in total which seems like the app is getting worse, not better.

Also importantly need to point out that runs are not included in the walking challenges.... I guess that's the real punchline to this joke.

117 REPLIES 117

Clare
Mt. Kenya

I completely agree, run and walk should be seperated!

As part of the run everyday January challenge I had set myself, I had also wanted to complete the 100k for the month. To then realise it now included walks has really put a damper on it. 

I hope Strava review this and put it back to how it was, and also bring back to walk 50k!! 

AustinBoath
Shkhara

They are not seperate sports. Just as cycling slow and cycling fast are not separate sports, I record all of my on foot acitivities, walk or run, or football, all as runs. If you have 1,000 different sport types, your strava profile soon becomes clogged and disorganised. This is also why I record all my rides as just 'rides' instead of using the category gravel or mountain bike ride. 5 sports is already a lot; I have Run, Ride, Swim, Kayak & Weight Training. Any more categories and this would be an absolute mess. 

You can record your "walks" as runs if you wish and just skew your own data, this global change has removed that choice and now we all have to have skewed data, along with the removal of the 200k and 300k run badges, its a farce.

Let's have Cycling and Escooters in the same category. Running is Not walking they are two different sports! Cycling fast and cycling slow are not 2 different sports!

Mate, just because you are OCD and don't like "clogging up" your Strava doesn't redefine the entire categorisation of sports. Go have a look at any governing body that manages sporting events and running and walking are entirely separate. 

And anyway, you are missing the entire point as this proposed change won't make an iota of difference to you as you mark everything as a run. This is for people who DO want to have a "clogged" Strava by have a clear difference between their sports and challenges appropriately. People who would like to achieve 100km running in a month AND 50km walking for example. 

Irreverent-Run
Shkhara

Bumping the thread as it's now open to vote

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @runprime 

Thanks for posting your thoughts on this change.  Thanks also to everyone who has commented and shared their feedback.  We appreciate it.  We will be sharing your feedback with the appropriate Team.  

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Hi Jane, How about an update on this? It has been three weeks since you shared it with 'the appropriate Team'... Thanks & kind regards, Sergio

momalley
Mt. Kenya

Please separate again. 

Graeme1
Mt. Kenya

Oh my I could not agree more! Remarkable really how irate this makes me

Stop combining sports and just create challenges at different levels for the most popular activities. Not complicated and since you have been charging for premium the last few years you should have the funds to do so!