cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strava shows incorrect moving time

Mayday_qq
Mt. Kenya

My Garmin device shows different elapsed time and moving time for my indoor activities, but Strava shows the same elapsed time and moving time. That's annoying. I'd like to have the actual moving time shown on strava. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey @Mayday_qq
Thanks for your post. We are two separate platforms with different calculations so certain aspects of your activity analysis may be different. In general, this is because Strava is more strict about resting time so we remove less of it than Garmin Connect. In other words, we're a bit more likely to consider you moving in places where Garmin considers you stopped. This means that even though the elapsed time is the same, the moving time can be a bit different, which can cause differences in average speed. Strava typically reports a bit more moving time and so a bit slower average speed.

We feel confident that we are accurately representing your data, but are always working on improving our calculations and appreciate your feedback. You may want to search our support site for more information and discussions on this topic.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Vaviatrix
Mt. Kenya

Totally agree, this feels like misrepresentation! I’ve only just noticed this and wonder how long it has been going on for?

Rogier
Pico de Orizaba

Makes sense that Strava recalculates moving time from the raw GPS data. If it wouldn't, you could never compare moving times calculated by different devices that all use different proprietory algorithms and speed cutoffs.

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey @Mayday_qq
Thanks for your post. We are two separate platforms with different calculations so certain aspects of your activity analysis may be different. In general, this is because Strava is more strict about resting time so we remove less of it than Garmin Connect. In other words, we're a bit more likely to consider you moving in places where Garmin considers you stopped. This means that even though the elapsed time is the same, the moving time can be a bit different, which can cause differences in average speed. Strava typically reports a bit more moving time and so a bit slower average speed.

We feel confident that we are accurately representing your data, but are always working on improving our calculations and appreciate your feedback. You may want to search our support site for more information and discussions on this topic.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

If Strava is going to add more moving time, it should also add the untracked distance.  Plenty of times I’m late to restart my watch, so I totally understand having a higher moving time than what was recorded since my watch was stopped, but I also covered distance during that period.  Essentially, you added time but not the distance.  Please look into fixing this, or don’t alter the data at all.

Just looked at my activity and did the "Correct Distance" option.  This is crazy, because it looks like you are already calculating the extra distance but not applying it automatically like you do the moving time.  Why calculate extra moving time and extra distance but then only apply the moving time.  I would definitely say this is a bug... It should be apply both or apply neither, and it should be an opt in feature.

Strava should be importing the data without changing it. I am running a speed sensor on my Garmin 1040 with the GPS so I think my data would be more accurate than just GPS!

EXACTLY!!

thry should be nothing with it.. it’s passed to Strava which is THIRD PARTY APP.. translate it to your interface and post it .. there should be zero algorithms or anything done with the data that comes from garmin , wahoo, etc- Strava is ok for a lot of things but accuracy is definitely not one of them. - and it’s because they alter the data they receive 

Today I did a ride of 45m51s, no traffic lights and no breaks.. yet Strava gives a time of 46m32. It’s just not possible.

yup noticed on a ride yesterday. Strava added two minutes To the time

I just don’t understand if Strava is the third-party application why are they not just taking the data from Garmin, wahoo etc.. And passing it along to their interface