cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This post has been escalated to our Support team for one of the following reasons: it requires sharing personal information, the intervention of an admin, or multiple exchanges. We may also escalate to our Support team if a topic is highly complex or technical.

End of activity cut-off when syncing

SHawkins83
Shkhara

Hi,

I hope I've put this in the right place.

I've been using Strava for several years, but earlier this year got the Pixel Watch to make my tracking more accurate, to give heart rate etc.  I use the Strava App on the watch and use it for both running and cycling.

Usually, it works well, but on fairly regular occaisions (maybe once a week), I notice that after the activity has uploaded to Strava, the last half mile or so is cut off.  The run is still tracking when I get home, so its not a case of me accidentally hitting 'end' or anything like that.

Geographically, it always seems to cut off in the same sort of area - so I'm wondering if there's something interfering with the signal - but that doesn't really make sense to me as it doesn't happen every time, and normally the tracker wouldn't cut off the activity, it would just keep going until it found a new signal.

I don't know if this is a Strava issue, or a Google Pixel issue, but it's becoming frustrating and I wondered if anyone else had a similar problem.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Soren
Denali

Hello, and thanks for sharing this. Sorry to hear you're occasionally experiencing issues with your activities being cut off near the end when recording with your Pixel Watch. We've escalated this post to our Support team so we can look into it further.

View solution in original post

68 REPLIES 68

I'm not convinved this is the same thing I'm experiencing on my pixel  watch - I don't manually pause my runs (or if I do, its extremely rare).

You’re right! I don’t pause manually my activities. Well, I should be honest, the fault is not only Sigma. I have a Amazfit smartwatch and I have a issue with it too. The maps don’t appear any more on Strava. I think Strava have been change a lot of things in your app that leads to so many problems. They still want we pay by the app.

I got the same reply from Sigma. Word by word. Really the desire is to change a different brand of GPS

Hi Jared

No, not really. Strava asked me to send them the files of the activities that were cut short. After a couple of weeks they got back to me and said it appeared to be a GPS issue, that the watch was losing signal and not picking it back up before the end of the run - kind.of makes sense.

But your issue sounds exactly the same as mine which makes me think that there's either some huge coincidence, or it's something different.

Interestingly, my pixel watch developed a fault recently and (after a drawn out process of terrible customer service), the Pixel team replaced it under warranty. So I was tracking my runs on Strava on my phone. I didn't have any GPS issues at all for the week or so I was doing this. Back on the watch again this week and it's already happened once.

SHawkins83
Shkhara

Hi

This is not the issue..I'm aware of the privacy zone which is still switched on and hides the strat and end of the activity, however the tracking ends early regardless of this. The privacy zone for the end of the activity reflects this, ie it also starts at am earlier position than it should.

It is definitely something interfering with the tracking however my watch continues to track and the data uploaded/interpreted by Strava is not accurate.

zecanard
Kilimanjaro

A few months ago, Strava implemented an automatic privacy zone for all users who did not already have one set up. It hides the start and end of every activity, no matter where it takes place. That sounds like what you’re experiencing, although I’m not positive since you say it only happens some of the time.

Either way, head over to Privacy Controls, under Additional ControlsMap Visibility, and see if “Hide the start and end points of activities no matter where they happen” is enabled.

Note, if you disable it, that it is strongly recommended to add a privacy zone around your home/work by going into “Hide the start and end points of activities that happen at a specific address.” Otherwise, your public activities would reveal both where you live and when you’re not home.

Privacy zones don't have any impact on this problem

Privacy zones don't have any impact on stats. They only affect what others can see on the map.