cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

The Hub is now in read-only mode as we make improvements to the Hub experience. More information is available here.

This post has been escalated to our Support team for one of the following reasons: it requires sharing personal information, the intervention of an admin, or multiple exchanges. We may also escalate to our Support team if a topic is highly complex or technical.

Issues with data uploaded from suunto

Tinkadventures
Mt. Kenya

I’ve just uploaded a mountaineering activity from my Suunto watch and the data in strava is nowhere near correct. It has my ascent as 880m when it was 1340m and it hasn’t accounted for descent. Worst of all apparently I did it in 28mins! 

how do I correct this? It won’t give me the option of correcting elevation data. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Scout
Moderator Moderator

UPDATE FROM SUPPORT:  If your device has a barometric altimeter and it is included in our device database, the activity page will display the elevation that the device recorded into the file. In this case, the activity that was uploaded to us was from a GPX file, and there was no elevation data in that file.

In this case, we cross reference the GPS data in the file to our elevation Basemap which is our database of barometric data. The accuracy of this calculation is based on the accuracy of your file's GPS data and the accuracy of our Basemap.  If the elevation calculated isn't accurate, there isn't a way to correct this. You can read more here: Elevation for your activity

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Scout
Moderator Moderator

UPDATE FROM SUPPORT:  If your device has a barometric altimeter and it is included in our device database, the activity page will display the elevation that the device recorded into the file. In this case, the activity that was uploaded to us was from a GPX file, and there was no elevation data in that file.

In this case, we cross reference the GPS data in the file to our elevation Basemap which is our database of barometric data. The accuracy of this calculation is based on the accuracy of your file's GPS data and the accuracy of our Basemap.  If the elevation calculated isn't accurate, there isn't a way to correct this. You can read more here: Elevation for your activity

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Tinkadventures 

Thanks for getting back to us. To troubleshoot this further, we'd need to take a look at your Strava activity and the uploaded file. I've escalated this post to Strava Support, and someone will be in touch with you shortly to troubleshoot further.

Jane (she/her)

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Tinkadventures 

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear of the issues with the activity data. Do you know if your recording device has a barometric altimeter? If it doesn't your elevation calculation depends on your GPS data and the accuracy of the database for that region.

Find out more about how we estimate elevation here

You mention a duration of 28 minutes. Is that your moving time? (We calculate moving time as well a elapsed time for GPS based activities). Our moving time calculation depends on the accuracy and completeness of your GPS data, so a weak GPS signal can cause the moving time to be inaccurate. Find out more about this process here

You could try swapping yoru distance stream and see if that improves things:

In some situations you can change the distance that is shown for your activity. Changing the distance stream may also update the pace or duration of an activity. If your device created a distance stream using sensors such as a speed sensor, pedometer, or accelerometer, you can switch your distance on Strava to use GPS data rather than the generated distance stream.

To swap your distance stream:

• Go to your activity page on the website (this feature is currently not accessible in our mobile apps)
  • From the activity page click on (◦◦◦) the more options menu > Correct Distance.
  • From the pop-up, click "Correct Distance".
  • When the status changes from "Calculating" to "Updated," refresh the page.

If you would like to revert the change, you can click the same link and click "Revert Distance".

Let us know if that helps.

Jane (she/her)

Hi Jane 

my device is a Suunto watch so yes it has a barometric altimeter. My moving time was about 13 hours and while I may have paused occasionally to rest my moving time was definitely closer to 10 hours than 28 mins. I don’t get the correct distance option when I click the three dots. 
the distance is about right it’s just the elevations and time that are hugely wrong. 
So neither of those fixes work, I’m afraid 

Emily