cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strava not showing power from powermeter

geladep
Mt. Kenya

Hi there

I have a powermeter on my bike and register my ride with a Garmin 1040. My activities are synced to Strava via Garmin Connect.

In my Stava activities and segment, I am not seeing a 'lightning' symbol next to the Power/Watts of the segment, which I understand means that this is estimated power calculated by Strava.

How do I get Strava to show real and accurate power data from my powermeter that is registered via Garmin Connect.

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @geladep 

Thanks for posting about this.  To determine if your ride contains data from a power meter versus estimated power, take a look at your Strava activity page.  

If it looks like this:

powermeterdata.png

That means we received data from a power meter.  If it looks like this:

estimatedpower.png

you'll know that we don't have power meter data and we are estimating your power.

Can you double check your ride(s) and confirm that you are seeing the estimated power versus actual power based on those diagrams?  If you are recording with a power meter on your bike and your Garmin device is collecting that data, you should be seeing power meter data on your Strava rides.

We no longer show a lightening bolt next to a segment if power meter data is present.  However, you may or may not see an intensity meter on each segment effort.  Those look like this:

segmentintensity.png

That intensity meter will only be present if you have an FTP entered in your Strava account.  Also please keep in mind that power analysis features are only available to Subscribers.

I hope that's helpful.  Please let us know and we would be happy to answer any further questions you have.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

haha, sorry just realised the power data is now on the main ride page. Clearly I pushed myself too hard this morning... 😊

I had exactly the same question / issue. Thanks for the steer 🍻

I also was caught out on my iPhone. Thanks for your update as it helped me too 

Hi Jane. I seem to have a similar issue. I got my Garmin power meter today and tried it out on a ride. I uploaded the activity from Garmin to Strava, but the power data does not match. I repeated the upload a few times, but nothing changed. Based on the thread above, I assume it only shows the estimated power, even though it should have the "real" power data. I also have the view below (sorry that it is in German, but it shows the estimated power curve): 

Matthias_V_0-1696158249541.png

Is there any reason why it would not "find" the real power data? Everything else (apart from calories) more or less matches between Garmin and Strava: 

Matthias_V_1-1696158557861.pngMatthias_V_2-1696158586095.png

The Strava activity doesn't mention that you have recorded with a Garmin device. The question is, which procedure do you use to get something from Garmin and upload it to Strava? Normally there isn't a need to do it yourself because you can setup an automatic transfer from Garmin to Strava. Even if that doesn't work like during the Garmin server failures yesterday uploading the fit file from the Garmin device to Strava also would lead to display the type of the Garmin device in Strava.

Hi Jan, thanks for your help. I uploaded the gpx file instead of the fit file, so your suggestion worked and I can now see the garmin data.