cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The eternal question: which GPS watch?

RunInKor
Shkhara

Ok, it looks like there aren't any posts specifically on this topic, so I don't feel too bad about starting one. However, if there is one or you feel that this isn't the place for this discussion, please feel free to yell at me.

So, long story short, I'm looking to upgrade my watch and get a dedicated running watch. Dedicated is definitely the operative word, there. I have been using a Galaxy Watch 3 for quite a while now and, while it is serviceable, it just doesn't do the things I want it to do.

I know that Garmin is the #1. I know that it's #1 for a reason, too. It seems to offer the best... well... everything, especially if you don't worry too much about price. However, something is really, really attractive about Coros. I can't put my finger on why I want one, but... I just do.

I've had my eyes on either the Coros Pace 2 or the Garmin Forerunner 255, but then Coros released the Coros Apex 2 Pro and... man it just ruined everything. I jumped into a whole new pricing bracket, and that opened up consideration of Garmin's Forerunner 955 solar and Instinct 2 Crossover. That's not even to bring up the other watch brands like Amazfit, Suunto, and Polar.

So, on to the whole point of this little chat. For those of you that don't mind sharing, I (and I'm sure others) have a few questions I'd like to ask you.

1. Which watch are you using,
  2. What do you like about it, and
  3. What do you not like about it?

You'd be helping me decide on a watch, and I'm willing to attempt to keep the information shared here somewhat organized so others can hopefully get some help from it, as well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @RunInKor

Thanks for posting about this! At Strava we often get Athletes asking us what is the "best" device. The answer of course, is there's no one best device. There's many great options on the market including the two you mention.

A lot depends on your particular needs and wants, what specifically you'll be using it for, what features are important to you, and of course, budget. We always encourage Athletes to do lots of research before deciding.

Good luck with your decision and it will be interesting to hear what other Community members are using and what they do and don't like.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MattS_bsb
Elbrus

Bit of a delayed reply, but I'm a big fan of the Garmin FENIX series - currently running with the FENIX 7X Sapphire Solar (since Jan of 2022).  Very customizable, rugged, long battery life, loads of activities to choose from, multi-band GPS functionality, and touch screen to top it all off.  I started with the FENIX 3 in 2016, upgraded to the FENIX 5X in 2018, and then the 7.  Got a few ultramarathon friends who swear by COROS, but not sure it matches up with  Garrmin's performance data and physical metric databases.  Happy to answer questions if you haven't already decided on a watch.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @RunInKor

Thanks for posting about this! At Strava we often get Athletes asking us what is the "best" device. The answer of course, is there's no one best device. There's many great options on the market including the two you mention.

A lot depends on your particular needs and wants, what specifically you'll be using it for, what features are important to you, and of course, budget. We always encourage Athletes to do lots of research before deciding.

Good luck with your decision and it will be interesting to hear what other Community members are using and what they do and don't like.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Former Member
Not applicable

Hey this is an interesting topic and I asked myself the same question not long ago.

1. I'm using the Garmin Forerunner 955.

2. I like that there are a lot of different activities already implemented in the system. Different types of swimming (e. g. swimming pool, free waters etc.), different types of cycling or running and the triathlon mode are pretty handy. The watch connects perfectly to Strave and the battery life is awesome. Even if I'm tracking a lot of GPS-based activities the battery lasts up to three weeks or even longer (for me). I also like the Garmin trainings plans which are connected to the watch via the Garmin connect app.

3. The possibilities of this watch seem so huge that I didn't manage to figure out all of them yet. Also the navigation through certain menues could be better. The touch screen helps, though.

I almost decided to buy the Coros Vertix 2 which has an even bigger battery. This was the most important issue for me, since I did not want to load the device regularly, but rely on a long lasting battery.

The downside of both these watches is the price, because both items are pretty expensive. On the other hand I did use some devices before which were a lot cheaper and wasn't happy in the end. Also one might think about the fact that the Forerunner costs nearly the same as an apple watch but is - imho - much more capable.