cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access photos during route planning

bricin
Shkhara

Does anyone know how to access photos during route creation? For example I am working on a new trail run route and I can see photo icons on the map. But there doesn't seem to be a way to click the photo to see it. If I click (or cmd click or ctrl click) it adds the photo location to my route.

Seems like I am missing something simple - these photos would help me with navigating the planned route.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @bricin ,

Thanks for posting about this!  It sounds like the icons you're looking at are POIs (points of interest).  Maps on both the Strava mobile app and website will include a Points of Interest map layer to help you find the best spots in your area to start your activity and useful locations throughout your activity.  You won't be able to drill into those icons but you can select them by long pressing on them, and then your route will be adjusted to include that POI.

Detailed information about POIs can be found here and we have a helpful legend here.  

There is an existing discussion about POI and we would welcome your comments!

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Just catching up with this thread, as I am doing some route planning for off-track exploring one of the world's leading heritage areas (Tongariro National Park, New Zealand) and can see photo icons in interesting remote locations. However there's no ability to correlate those icons with either specific photos of the location, or the route taken through.
I think it would be valuable to either be able to right-click the photo icon and choose to view related photos, or to be able to see which area of the map photos relate to as browsing them. Even better would be both options!

Hi Soren - using street view would be fine as long as we have coverage where there are no streets 🙂 

As they say in “Back to the Future” - where we’re going, there are no roads.

Frankly your geospatial team should be able to plot all those photos without any trouble at all (since they are already clustering the photos along the route line) Anything without proper EXIF / geo tagging could be omitted from the route view while kept for the gallery view