cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Workout triggering STRAVA Beacon

anthonymunoz
Mt. Kenya

Is there a way to have a STRAVA Beacon started when starting an apple activity? My Garmin Felix automatically sends a STRAVA beacon when beginning a run, so I was hoping this can work with an Apple workout as well. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @anthonymunoz 

I understand.  Thanks for clarifying that. 

Strava Beacon isn't compatible with the Apple Watch Workout App.   Since you have the Garmin Fenix device which supports the Garmin LiveTrack feature, one workaround would be to record with both the Garmin device and the Apple Watch App.  Activate Livetrack on Garmin to give you the tracking functionality but then delete the duplicate upload from Strava.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Surge7
Mt. Kenya

This feature would be amazing. I’ve spent full days troubleshooting how to get my kids Apple Watch (standalone cell plan that is with family setup) to use Strava to no avail. 
The only workaround is to buy the kid a SIM card plan and have his cell phone with him to send beacon when he is skiing alone. In this age of tech this seems pretty basic and doable. 

this suggestion above would be a workaround just having. Apple workout send a Strava beacon trigger. Using find my location is too vague, but also doesn’t actually record tracks or see where they are. 

To further clarify, Strava beacon does not work on an apple watch that is under 'family sharing' cellular plans. The childs Apple Watch SE Cellular version has its own cell number, its own GPS obviously, and should not require a phone w SIM to be accompanied. However, Strava does not have this feature enabled. I'd gladly pay premium for childs account to be able to have this work, but Strava blocks this for some reason.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @anthonymunoz 

Thanks for posting.  Are you using an Apple Watch to record your workouts?  Check out these instructions for using Beacon on Apple Watch.

You can also use Beacon with the Strava IOS App and your Garmin device.  Full instructions are here.

I hope that's helpful!

Jane (she/her)

Hi Jane,

Thank you for the reply. I am not using the Strava app to record my activities. I am using the Apple Workouts app because it is more in depth and customizable. When I was using my Garmin Fenix , the Gartmin app as the ability to automatically trigger the Strava Beacon (without using the Strava app), so I was hoping Apple Workout has the ability to do this. 

Hi @anthonymunoz 

I understand.  Thanks for clarifying that. 

Strava Beacon isn't compatible with the Apple Watch Workout App.   Since you have the Garmin Fenix device which supports the Garmin LiveTrack feature, one workaround would be to record with both the Garmin device and the Apple Watch App.  Activate Livetrack on Garmin to give you the tracking functionality but then delete the duplicate upload from Strava.

Jane (she/her)

We know it’s not compatible, we’re asking you to make it compatible, just as you have with the garmin app. 

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings