cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This post has been escalated to our Support team for one of the following reasons: it requires sharing personal information, the intervention of an admin, or multiple exchanges. We may also escalate to our Support team if a topic is highly complex or technical.

How to remove/mute "motivational" messages from Strava

pssaenz
Shkhara

Since a few weeks ago Strava is at it again with pushing "features" down your throat. Now among the notifications for an activity I have to read Strava's stupid "motivational" messages (you're doing great, keep at it, da da da). Anyone can help me get rid of those?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello,

Thanks to everyone who has commented and provided feedback.  The testing phase is completed and these notifications are now in production. 

While this cannot be completely disabled, you do have the ability to disable the push notification. Push notifications are "pushed" to your mobile device when the Strava app is either closed or running in the background.

This can be turned off by going to:

You Tab
Settings (top right)
Push Notifications
Un-toggling Device Activity Synced

The push notification settings do not affect the in-app notifications you receive in the mobile app or on the Strava website. 

Again, we appreciate the feedback and it has been passed along to the Team.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

111 REPLIES 111

Wow! Great work at writing a post @Jane! Your post is ready, please dive into your stats! Kudos for completely ignoring every complaint!

Hi @Jane this could be disabled instantly and reimplemented when there's a proper way to enable/disable the notices. People have voiced their complaints for weeks yet nothing has changed. 

jimpin
Mt. Kenya

I totally agree... I find the comments condescending and unmotivating, the total opposite of their intended purpose. If I'm just going for a slow run or a walk around the block with my dog I don't need to be cheered on. In fact I don't really need a dumb app to ever be cheering me on. Please add a way of disabling this.

taa022
Shkhara

I agree with the comment above re: opening up separate tickets. I’ve done this and requested the notification language be changed or optional. if this is not taken care of, I am not renewing my membership.

I created a ticket and referenced this thread and asked them to read. I also asked if Pro athletes are forced to have the same platitudes? If not, that means they DO have a way of disabling it

bobdaspider
Shkhara

These 'so-called' motivational messages should be optional. If some users like them - fine, they can continue to receive them BUT for others, these messages are insulting / condescending, so would like the option NOT to receive them. Sounds like a reasonable compromise. PS. Is the likes of Jonas Vingegaard and other pro riders with a Strava account, also receiving these 'motivational' messages OR is it just us ordinary folk?

Velolion
Mt. Kenya

Ya, although I won’t go off the deep end  and say someone needs to lose their job over it (like a writer above) I do find the auto kudos annoying, meaningless, and patronizing. I don’t need or want a kudos feature at all, let alone one that doesn’t even come from a real person. Save that crap for the snowflakes that need constant affirmation and validation for even getting out of bed in the morning. Probably making a lot of $$ off it via increased engagement and subscription rate, but I think the worst thing that ever happened to Strava was when it went all social.

…and then, hilariously, I got three “badges” for making the above post. 🙄 Totally out of control.

Well done! Just a few more snide comments and you'll be on your way to your next badge 🤣